Which side should I put to the outside?

• White letters

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Black

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OkieScot

I bought a new pair of shoes for my truck. They are General Grabbers with raised white letters. I am trying to decide if I want the white side or the black side out.

I have only had one vehicle with raised white letter tires and that was a 1969 Boss 302. Since that car I have never owned another set. However, after buying these tires and looking at them I am having trouble deciding which side to put out. I am leaning toward the white side out.

What do you guys/gals think. Bear in mind that I don't drive a lot so keeping them clean should not be too difficult. The truck also stays in the garage every night and most days as well.

Thanks for your help on this.

Attachments

Phelan

I went with the black letters facing out on my Grabber AT2s, but on yours I'm thinking the white lettering showing might look better.

G

Gray Ghost 2.5 SL

As you stated not minding the cleaning the letters. That was my objection due to the tires having many letters. Your truck in my oponion looks better with the white letters showing.

OkieScot

It's not over yet. After a closer look at my tires yesterday I discovered two of them were blemished and they had knicked one of my wheels. I went back today and they offered to sand the white letters to see if they could eliminate the black on the lettering and to have my wheel repaired.

When I had my wheels polished the guy had a terrible time getting a complete shine without any flaws. He said the metal they were made of had pockets in them and when you hit one of these you had to keep polishing to get it out and hope not to hit another pocket.

I told the guy I did not want them to try and repair the wheel as it was a minor flaw and I was afraid they may do more damge than good. I also told him I did not feel comfortable with the tires since General's quality control had let this slip by, what else might be wrong with them.

I decided I would go back to the Michelin X Radial LT2 that I was looking at. The salesman said that since I would not let him repair the wheel he would give me the Michelins at the same price as the Generals. That is a savings of almost $90.

The Michelins are supposed to be in tomorrow so I'll have them mounted and then take picrutres again.

Attachments

G

Gray Ghost 2.5 SL

It's not often you come out ahead nowdays. Good luck, keep us informed.

OkieScot

I hope that I am not making a mistake. While I don't like the blems the tires are very smooth and quiet. I also like the lettering on the tire. I have not been able to find a photo of the Michelin X Radial LT2 with white lettering yet and that is what the salesman said the tire would be. I did see an OWL Michelin and the lettering was too bold for my taste. If that is the case I'll turn the OWL in.

I'll post pictures of the tires once they are mounted. I'll also take a photo of both the black and the white before they are mounted.

OkieScot

I had the tires swapped over this afternoon. I wish I had just kept the Generals after driving home on the Michelins. The ride is MUCH harsher with the Michelins and the road noise is slightly more. The noise level is so small that it is not a deal breaker. The ride on the other hand is WAY worse.

I guess the harsher ride is due to the Michelin wearing better and that usually means a harder tire compound.

The OWL lettering is a little bolder on the Michelin than the General, but not enough so that I would turn it in. The quality control at Michelin does seem to beat General hands down.

If you are looking for mileage I guess the Michelin is the way to go, but if it is all about the ride then the Generals get the thumbs up.

Attachments

OkieScot

I just got back from the very cold and damp Scottish games. Lowering the tire pressure may have helped a little bit, but the Michelins still ride much more harshly than the Generals. If I had it to do over I would have stayed with the Generals.