VQ40 engine; buzzing /whining noise from timing chain area

greybrick

I was wondering if any here have noticed increased engine noise over time and have had the dealership do the timing chain repairs /chain guide replacement as per the service bulletin NTB07-042 VQ40 ENGINE; BUZZING / WHINING NOISE.

Do any know if the timing chain repairs are definitive or is this something that might need to be redone periodically.

Here's the NissanHelp discussion on the timing chain topic.

The above list the Pathfinder but I think that the Frontier has a similar SB.

greybrick

BlackTigerSE said:
I had both replaced for the 2nd time...we'll see if there is a 3rd...before the 100k mark.
Thanks BT, do you happen to know what the problem is...chain stretch, worn gears, weak guide rails (if there are guide rails), etc...anything lube oil related? I wonder how Nissan determines when to turn an obvious problem with service bulletin into a full blown recall.

As many have done performance mods and create tire noise, intake noise, exhaust noise, etc for themselves I wonder how many miss the fact that their timing chains might be turning into a problem.

EB_05_NISMO

I had mine done in the fall, and it sounds like it's starting to do it again. I can't remember what they replaced, but I think it was the secondary timing chain guides that wore out. I'll have the dealer check it when it goes in next.

don't quote me, but on cf I thought I remember reading that in december 07 they actually started using a redesigned part(s) for the fix. It was my understanding that before that they were replacing it with the same part(s), just new

BlackTigerSE

The dealership never really looked into the problem...they just thought...the belt or the tensioner was a defect so they replaced the two once again. It's fine for now. I have no high pitch whistling noise at this moment.
-Belt
-Tensioner
Those are the 2 that need to be replaced.

EB_05_NISMO

BlackTigerSE said:
The dealership never really looked into the problem...they just thought...the belt or the tensioner was a defect so they replaced the two once again. It's fine for now. I have no high pitch whistling noise at this moment.
-Belt
-Tensioner
This TSB is for the timing chain guides, not for the tensioner and belt which is another problem people are having. My wine sounded almost like a supercharger wine and it wasn't a whistling noise. Note that if it is your timing chain that is the issue the dealer will probably need your truck for at least two days. My dealer had mine for 3 or 4 because of a parts error (according to them). I'll try and find the paperwork from when mine was done to see what it actually says they replaced.

BlackTigerSE

EB_05_NISMO said:
BlackTigerSE said:
-Belt
-Tensioner
This TSB is for the timing chain guides, not for the tensioner and belt which is another problem people are having. My wine sounded almost like a supercharger wine and it wasn't a whistling noise. Note that if it is your timing chain that is the issue the dealer will probably need your truck for at least two days. My dealer had mine for 3 or 4 because of a parts error (according to them). I'll try and find the paperwork from when mine was done to see what it actually says they replaced.
Ah i c...well mine started to get louder when i pushed down on the gas....hmm...well the noise is gone...so its not the timing chain...TSB..

Good luck

eglaisi

My chain guides went on my KA 240. They made the guides out of plastic in those engines, so it's inevitable that they would just get destroyed. I think if it's the guides, its makes a rattling noise, not a buzzing/whining. Plus, it also does it only on startup, not idling or under load.

El Llanero 2

yea everyone is right. i work at a dealership...
there are to TSB:
1.is with drive belt and the tensioner that makes a squeal early in the morning most of the time.
2.the second is a whinning noise which does come from the timing chain, not the main chain, but the camshaft chains. Uses two chains, one on each head. And it is the guides that get completly wore out, where you cant even tell it ever had a plastic guide, thats where the whinning comes from. it doesnt make a rattle nosie like other normal timing chains do.
And for the reason on parts is that, the dealer needs to be ordering special parts listed in the TSB. if they do not follow the parts list in the TSB, then the problem will come back and wont be permenently fix. hopfully this helps out anyone that needs it.

greybrick

Thanks Llanero, good info. I checked with the local dealership as well and service guy tells me they've been installing the new guides at about 40K kms as that's when the noise gets noticeable.

EB_05_NISMO

EB_05_NISMO said:
The list is below. I think I am hearing the whine again so this may have to get done again.

Here is the list on my invoice:
Replace Cam Chain/ Idler Gear
(1) 15066-31u02 Seal O Rin
(2) 13028-zk00b Chain-cams
(2) 13070-zk01b Tensioner
(1) 13070-zk01a Tensioner
(4) 15066-31u03 Seal O Rin
(1) 15066-31u03 Seal O Rin
(1) 15066-31u02 Seal O Rin
(2) 15066-ed010 Seal-O-Rin
(1) 21049-31u04 Seal-O-Rin
(1) 21049-31u03 Seal-O-Rin
(1) 13510-7y000 Seal-Oil, c
(1) 13270-ea21a Gasket-Roc
(1) 13270-ea20a Gasket-Roc
(2) 23797-za000 Gasket-Sol
(2) 15066-31u03 Seal O Rin
(1) 15208-9e000 Filter Oi*
(6) 999mp-a7000gt Motor oil
(1) 11026-01m02 Washer-Dra
(1) 999mp-a7007p Gasket Sil
(2) 999mp-af000p Long Life

Looks like labor was listed as 8.3 hours.