UCA resting on Coil Bucket-Need Help

gw4416

Installed 2" PRG front spacers with Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Shocks on the front. Shocks were set to stock = 0". Installed 2" Deavers Leafs on rear. Problem I am having is that the UCA is now resting on the Coil Bucket. I contacted PRG and Greg said this was normal. I just can't see metal on metal as being normal. He then told me that Bilstein Adjustables provide 0.5" of lift at the stock setting. Has anyone heard of this?
I am quite flustered right now b/c I contacted PRG for help and still have not heard back.
The only solution I see as of now is to order new UCA's.
Any help would be appreciated.

eglaisi

I have the same problem, as do anyone with lift spacers.

Basically it changes your suspension geometery. Your stock UCA isn't long enough to keep up with the now extended suspension travel. So yes... it is "normal" for people who have spacers and stock UCA's. I believe BlacktigerSE installed a low profile bumpstop on the underside of his UCA to cushion the hits. Another owner simply epoxied a string of fuel line cut in half (lengthwise) onto the bottom edges of the UCA. They're good solutions if your saving up for aftermarket UCA's or simply just want to keep the spacers and hate that clunking sound.

I've had my spacers on with stock UCA's on for about a year and a half. I didn't install a bumpstop or anything, just left it. I hear "coil-bucket" clunking all the time. UCA is still undamaged... a little surface rust where it hits... but I'm putting in new UCAs one of these months.

mdawg4x4

Administrator
As Eglaise said, it is due to suspension geometry. Raising the truck brings the UCA closer to the coil bucket. Aftermarket UCAs are the best solution to preventing contact. $$$

BlackTigerSE

Wait a minute... the arm is resting on top of the coil bucket 100% of the time? Or do you get "resting" when you go over a bump or off road? Could we see a picture?

gw4416

It is RESTING on the coil bucket 100% of the time! PRG said that the Bilstein Adjustable adds about 0.5" still at the 0" stock setting, but Bilstein said stock equals 0" .

BlackTigerSE

gw4416 said:
It is RESTING on the coil bucket 100% of the time! PRG said that the Bilstein Adjustable adds about 0.5" still at the 0" stock setting, but Bilstein said stock equals 0" .
That's not right. I would take off the adjustable bilstein. You must get very rough riding.
That or go with aftermarket arms. Greg sells them for $500 shipped and Calmini sells them for about the same.

8o8blkfrontier

WELL I GOT GREGS UCA'S AND THEY ARE LIKE A HAIR AWAY FROM THE COIL BUCKET.WHEN MY TRUCK IS STIL I SHOULD OF WENT WITH THE TITAN ARMS! DANG OHH WELL

BlackTigerSE

8o8blkfrontier said:
WELL I GOT GREGS UCA'S AND THEY ARE LIKE A HAIR AWAY FROM THE COIL BUCKET.WHEN MY TRUCK IS STIL I SHOULD OF WENT WITH THE TITAN ARMS! DANG OHH WELL
Well it's not too late. I'd return them for Extended Axles (if you're 4x4) and ext tie rod and brake lines. Then just get the LCA and UCA at a junkyard for like $200, and use the bilsteins you already have. Seems like the bilsteins are set way too high. Could get maybe get pictures?

nismo08frontier

BlackTigerSE said:
8o8blkfrontier said:
Well it's not too late. I'd return them for Extended Axles (if you're 4x4) and ext tie rod and brake lines. Then just get the LCA and UCA at a junkyard for like $200, and use the bilsteins you already have. Seems like the bilsteins are set way too high. Could get maybe get pictures?
if you have the aftermarket UCA and extended coil overs like ones from PRG @ full dropp the bumpstop will be resting on the coil bucket. Coil bucket is contact with just a spacer lift is very common and the length of travel is not changed with the spacer.