Thoughts on Fuel Economy

reverendbiker

In 2005 I bought a new Frontier King Cab LE V-6; the EPA economy rating was 15 city/20 hwy and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I actually achieved much better. It could have been the LE's high rear axle ratio, but I consistently saw 22-24 mpg on the highway trip to our ranch.

I needed a little heavier truck in 2008 and bought a Silverado 5.3 V-8, rated by the EPA at 15 city/20 hwy. The only way that truck would get 20 mpg would be downhill with a 50 MPH tailwind; my typical average was 16-17 mpg.

I missed my little Frontier so much that I just replaced it with a new SV V-6, once again rated at 15 city/20 hwy. I've used three tanks of gas, mostly in highway driving, and my average thus far is 20.6 mpg. I didn't buy the Frontier for its economy, but it's nice to know that I can still get over 20 mpg while running at 70 MPH.

I knew that EPA estimates were pretty much worthless...

mdawg4x4

Administrator
I wish Nissan would give us a switch to go from economy to power. Surely we could hit 25mpg in an economy mode.

OkieScot

I am averaging 19 mpg over several months now and about 75% of that is on local streets. I am pleased as punch.

BlackTigerSE

Im averaging 17-18. I used to get low 20s, when I had my stock tires. I don't know if the stock exhaust system had any play so I am not going to partially blame the reduction of mpg on it. I'm lucky to get highway/20mpg. I have my tires are 36-40psi. Plan on getting new and less aggressive tread A/T tires that weigh 6#s lighter. Hopefully I will be able to see 20+mpg highway again.

Phelan

Combined I am averaging 14.048 MPG since June 28, 2010 (phone upgrade lost my earlier data); I'd say roughly 80-85% city, short distance trips (5 miles to/from work).

[attachment=2900]

Attachments

Phelan said:
Combined I am averaging 14.048 MPG since June 28, 2010 (phone upgrade lost my earlier data); I'd say roughly 80-85% city, short distance trips (5 miles to/from work).

Wow, good job, how did you come up with the graph? Is it a device in the truck or something you put together?

reverendbiker

Phelan said:

Interesting App, Phelan. Think I might try it myself...

Shift_Avenger

My GPS does the smae graph I am avering 19 mpg was doing better when it was cooler. If ot is around 50 degrees on average I get over 20, regular driving.

My Altima computer advises me town and highway driving averages 27 to 29 MPG. The best highway MPG was 32 I have noticed 31.8 MPG seems to be the standard average highway mileage. This is with A/C and low hills, I have the 2.5 engine.

mdawg4x4 said:
My dad is getting about the same out of his 2010 Altima 2.5.
I've enjoyed driving several models of Nissan, never had a lemon. Never had a problem the Dealership couldn't correct the first time. In fact my problems have been very, very, few problems with any model. The Altima is built solid, my '06 Frontier was bullet proof. If I had waited 2 more months I could of had a LWB and I would have continued to own it. I'm starting to sound like a commercial.

crash77

I have been generally disappointed with my gas mileage. I got my new pro4x,CC,6 spd manual in Oct. I just did my 1st oil change at 3,500 mi two weeks ago. I had been averaging 17.8 on the stuff that came in the truck. I saw a new Mobil 1 oil for ecomomy and tried that. They are going with 0W-XX and guaranteeing that it will protect the warantee on 5W-XX applications, so I tried it. I got the 0W-20, and my mileage has definitly improved. I went to Ruidoso for the weekend, which is 165 miles each way, with a lot of hills. My mileage was 16.7 when I left, and 20.3 when I got back. I will need to put gas in it tommorrow and is now down to 19.3, which is still good for my truck. I hope it stays over 19, otherwise, the marginal mileage gain over my F-150 isn't worth the new truck payment. I do love it, I just was expecting better mileage, since all my driving is flat.