The New Quote of the Day Thread

OkieScot

Great quotes from a great man.

My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it is on your plate. Thornton Wilder

Never, never rest contented with any circle of ideas, but always be certain that a wider one is still possible. Richard Jeffries

mdawg4x4

Administrator
OkieScot said:
Great quotes from a great man.
I am an only child and use to play Canasta with my mom for entertainment. She taught me well to the point, she could only win a game if a John Wayne movie was on at the same time to keep me distracted.

That has been a long time ago now....

OkieScot

My mother, bothers and sister used to play canasta when I was young and like you said that has been a long time ago.

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. Isaac Asimov

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading. Thomas Jefferson

OkieScot

True wisdom has a curious way of revealing to yourself your own true ignorance. Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King Jr.

OkieScot

Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty in every age of life really never grows old. Franz Kafka

If we treat people as they ought to be we help them become what they are capable of becoming. Goethe

OkieScot

The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own. Benjamin Disraeli

This is the first test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible value to him. William Lyon Phelps

OkieScot

The proper function of a critic is to save the tale from the artist who created it. D.E. Lawrence

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. T.S. Eliot

OkieScot

One cool judgment is worth a thousand hasty counsels. The thing to do is to supply light and not heat. Woodrow Wilson

First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you. F. Scott Fitzgerald

OkieScot

A kleptomaniac is a person who helps himself because he can't help himself. Henry Morgan

Freedom of the press is not an end in itself but a means to the end of achieving a free society. Felix Frankfurter

OkieScot

The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it. Edward Bulwer-Lytton

If people turn to look at you in the street, you are not well dressed. Beau Brummel

OkieScot

It is possible to store the mind with a million facts and still be entirely uneducated. Alec Bourne

Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone. Anthony Burgess

mdawg4x4

Administrator
OkieScot said:
Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone. Anthony Burgess
My daughter was complaining about sharing a room with us on our next vacation for that very reason.

OkieScot

Freedom is not worth having if it does not connote freedom to err. Mohandas Gandhi

Everyone has an hour in their day to go and do something for somebody else; I don't care how busy they are Gisele Bundchen

OkieScot

Choose the life that is most useful, and habit will make it the most agreeable. Francis Bacon

In a great romance, each person basically plays a part that the other really likes. Elizabeth Ashley

OkieScot

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed. Sebastien Roch Nicolas Chamfort

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. Martin Luther King Jr.

OkieScot

Mystery is a resource, like coal or gold, and its preservation is a fine thing. Tim Cahill

The honest poor can sometimes forget poverty. The honest rich can never forget it. G.K. Chesterton

OkieScot

Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams

The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions and not upon our circumstances. Martha Washington

OkieScot

Two dangers beset mankind: Making sin seem either too large or too small. Mary Baker Eddy

One of the virtues of being very young is that you don't let the facts get in the way of your imagination. Sam Lavenson

OkieScot

Flaming enthusiasm, backed up by horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for success. Dale Carnegie

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. Maya Angelou

OkieScot

If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life, with confidence, you have won even before you have started. Cicero

A good novel tells you the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells you the truth about its author. G.K. Chesterton