The 2.8-liter Cummins Inc diesel in the Nissan Frontier Diesel Runner at The Chicago

Shift_Avenger

The 2.8-liter Cummins Inc diesel in the Nissan Frontier Diesel Runner at The Chicago Auto Show is completely market-ready.
[attachment=3156]
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/cummins-two-point-eight-is-rad?src=soc_fcbks
Now that Nissan got our attention with its Cummins-powered Frontier Diesel Runner, we tracked down some of the guys at Cummins for a little more information about this torquey, fuel-efficient powertrain. The Chicago Auto Show "concept" uses a 2.8-liter diesel four-pot, but it differs greatly from other engines of the same displacement currently being used and tested by Cummins.

Outside the US, Cummins offers a 2.8-liter ISF diesel for use in a wide range of work vehicles (including cab over trucks in Asia), and inside the US, the Atlas 2.8-liter diesel is a conceptual project funded by both Cummins and the Department of Energy designed to test engine technologies "further out on the radar." Somewhere in between the existing ISF and the future Atlas engines sits the engine found under the hood of the Nissan Frontier concept, which is simply known as the Cummins 2.8 Turbo Diesel. Making matters even more confusing, all three of these 2.8s are completely different beasts from the 5.0-liter diesel V8 that will debut in the next-gen Titan.

Read more: http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/cummins-two-point-eight-is-rad#ixzz2seLRkidU

Attachments

mdawg4x4

Administrator
I'm game as long as there is a 4x4 option, and it isn't uni-body and doesn't look like a Pathfinder Avalanche!

reverendbiker

mdawg4x4 said:
I'm game as long as there is a 4x4 option, and it isn't uni-body and doesn't look like a Pathfinder Avalanche!
I'm with you, Dawg! I've been waiting for a viable diesel option in the Frontier and--unless they go to a unibody--will make this my next work truck.

balage

Interesting, Nissan why wants to use a different diesel engine, such as the Navara?
There is the 2.5 DCI 194 hp or 240 hp 3.0 dc. Not good?
And I know these aren't crapy Renault engnes, they are originaly Nissan development.

reverendbiker

balage said:
Interesting, Nissan why wants to use a different diesel engine, such as the Navara?
There is the 2.5 DCI 194 hp or 240 hp 3.0 dc. Not good?
And I know these aren't crapy Renault engnes, they are originaly Nissan development.
Apparently won't pass USA emissions standards.