S-10 went down

Shift_Avenger

So I am driving home from work and an S10 pulls up next to me and revs up. I look over and do the same. He takes off and I drop it into second, quickly catch up to him an pass him. I slowed down to let him catch up and he did it again. Beat him again. I reached my turn and he did a fly by.

Don't they have a larger displacement 6 cyl in there? :smt017 Oh well a kill none the less :flag: :smt066

mastiff

nice kill

yours 4.0 ~280hp ..............his 4.3 190hp........you must have pulled on him like an 08 m3 on an 08 g37s

shinermiller

i hate those little turd trucks! always in the way, and when they think they are hott, they do their little looser fly by. by the way this reminds me of when i pulled an older model S-10 out of some mud in front of a tractor supply. it was great.

carphreak

i actually like the S10. and its successor the colorado/canyon. however, i know darn well they don't stand a chance unless they have noss or a supercharger....

on the other hand, i really do not like rangers that much. waay too underpowered and a lot of wanna bes lift them and put big tires on them and drive all crazy. or sometimes they just lift the front and widen the suspension for that pre runner look.

shinermiller

i tend to hate rangers now... severely underpowered and when you mod the cow poo out of them they end up w/ a bout 240 hp (sohc 4.0... @ crank..haha)

s10's still dont have a chance w/ nos. they have quite a bit of power to make up. something like the 4.3's are 190 hp? not all thaaat bad, but not a vq40. they probably reach peak hp around 4.5k rpm. where as ours just basically keeps going up.

anyone heard anything about someone running the new canyon/colorado's at the track (inline 5 version)?

mastiff

check this, the 08ranger has a 3.0v6 that makes less hp and just 8lb-ft more torque than the 2.5 i4 frontier....and to think that severely detuned altima engine would be a joke....

rdrfronty

My old 94 s10 ss had 195hp and 260ft tq. and weighed in at about 3150 lbs. I ran a 15.6 1/4 with a flowmaster, headers, and K & n filter. So if they are set up right they arn't that far behind our fronty's. Of course they had much aftermarket support.

Shift_Avenger

rdrfronty said:
My old 94 s10 ss had 195hp and 260ft tq. and weighed in at about 3150 lbs. I ran a 15.6 1/4 with a flowmaster, headers, and K & n filter. So if they are set up right they arn't that far behind our fronty's. Of course they had much aftermarket support.
Sounds like a cool rig. Do you still have it? I have not seen many at the track unless someone has dropped a V8 into them

rdrfronty

No I got rid of my S10 about 5 years ago. But for the last 2 years I owned I was one of the lucky ones with a V8!! I bought a LT4 (vette) crate motor and put it in my self. It was actually a pretty easy conversion. I left the 350 basically stock except exhaust & custom intake. I was running 13.0 1/4 times which is about the same times as the 96 Vette that the LT4 came in. Stock it had 335hp & 345ft. It was a blast to drive. Now with my V6 still in my truck I still ran respectable times (I think). I know my Frontier has alot more power and is considerbly faster overall but my S10 still had good torque & I could launch much easier than my fronty, which allowed mid 15 runs. I sure if any of us can ever get a proper launch technique and if Uprev will ever gives us full throttle out of the hole, mid to high 14's is very likely for me and the other 6 spds being hampered now. Look at Shiner, he's close to 14's now, and he has a auto & 4 wheel drive.

Shift_Avenger

Check out the VQ40 IRC forum the record is 14.991!, we are definitely fast but not as fast as we could be, you are absolutely right

rdrfronty

The v8 conversion cost WAY too much. Between the engine and transmission about $12,000. Though thats because I did a high quality swap since it was a daily driver for me. I bought the LT4 new from GM with warranty along with all new accesories like ac compressor, alt, & etc. I actually kept my original transmission since its the same 4l60e used with vette and camaros but I have to beef it up since it didn't have the same vavlebody & clutch setup. I had a race rebuild done to it along with a 2800 stall which in total cost about 2500 of the 12000. If you needed to you could probably do the swap with a Salvage yard LT1 or LS1 for probably under $5000. It all depends on how dependable, fast, and professional you want it to be.