ran down a titan tonight

mastiff

i met this one guy who works at an account i service. 2007 titan king cab 2wd xe with brute force cai and magnaflow exhaust. asked him about how fast it was. he said he hasnt taken it to the track yet, but expecting high 14's.....then he told me a few kill stories, and said he would be much faster without the restriction. he said his throttle will only open 50% 0-40 and then WOT 40+.......then i made the point that it would be a crapload faster if it were 6 speed manual....so he told me he has a 4 speed manual mode in addition to D.....used a small button on his "windshield wiper" lever to shift gears......before long i told him about my 14.991 run. and as luck would have it he got off work in 10 minutes. we agreed to do a couple freeway runs due to his throttle disadvantage.

on the way to the freeway, i pulled up next to him in second at around 4000 rpm and floored it. immediately put his nose in my rear bumper,(probably because it took him a split second to react, and another second for his automatic to kick in) but to my surprise from there on i only pulled away SLOOOOOWLY....hit the brakes at 80mph with less than a truck lenght between my rear and his front bumper...

on the freeway i was in third at 5k rpm honked my horn 3 times and again i put a length between us. this time i pulled away faster. at 110mph he was 3 lenghts behind. then i hit the brakes again....

last run i had it in 4th at 4000 rpm. this time i pulled away slower of course making my way to redline with him right behind me. took it up to cutoff at 118 mph and he was only 2 lengths behind.

i must admit i was expecting to beat him like the 350z beat me. but he did keep up even if barely......

definitely opened up my eyes to titans, but still, little bro kicked big brother's butt big time :smt023

ill see if i can get some pictures of our trucks parked next to eachother

krh2

40mph for WOT? Must have changed in the 07's. Mine is either 12 or 17 I forget. Gotta get upreved... WOT from ZERO... Talk about needing tires.. :smt003

mastiff

well, he also said that WOT for 4x4 is from around 10mph......he said the reason 2wd is at 40mph is because titans tend to have problems with weakened differentials, and seals, so nissan put a restriction on them to prevent overload......

EB_05_NISMO

krh2 said:
40mph for WOT? Must have changed in the 07's. Mine is either 12 or 17 I forget. Gotta get upreved... WOT from ZERO... Talk about needing tires.. :smt003
4x2 Titans get WOT at 38mph according to what all the people say who are looking into uprev for the frontiers. 4x4 Titans get WOT at a lower speed, krh2 do you have a 4x4?

krh2

EB_05_NISMO said:
krh2 said:
4x2 Titans get WOT at 38mph according to what all the people say who are looking into uprev for the frontiers. 4x4 Titans get WOT at a lower speed, krh2 do you have a 4x4?
Nope, 04 4x2 big tow, trutrac, burnout mod... :smt003

Rossi

Tis true a 4X2 acheives WOT at 40 mph and a 4X4 at around 12 mph. Has nothing to do with the weak rear end...it has to do with the weight on the rear end.

Some Titans do have an option to shift yourself. But it's still an automatic and you can not force it to hold a gear...it will shift whether you want it to or not. And if your foot is too the floor you can't tell it to shift early either...it will shift when it wants as an automatic. Basically it won't permit you to over rpm it...which you don't want to do with a Titan anyway due to the power band and it won't permit an early shift at WOT.

It's a function used best for towing.

scottsbro23

I've got a 4x4....and yes I get WOT sooner... :smt003 In april we'll have some footage of a deepwater 4x4 vs a deepwater 4x2 with similar mods (besides Tru-Trac).. :smt003

Rossi

That's because Granite is the fastest!!!! Your lucky Kev isn't driving a Granite Titan!!!

Hey Kev...you want to borrow my truck for the week?

krh2

scottsbro23 said:
I've got a 4x4....and yes I get WOT sooner... :smt003 In april we'll have some footage of a deepwater 4x4 vs a deepwater 4x2 with similar mods (besides Tru-Trac).. :smt003
:smt019 :smt019 :smt019

Did I forget to mention we are going to Houston via Austin????? UpRev.. :smt006 :smt003 Even if not, I tink the only diffference will be my most excellent driving skills. :smt003

krh2

Rossi said:
That's because Granite is the fastest!!!! Your lucky Kev isn't driving a Granite Titan!!!

Hey Kev...you want to borrow my truck for the week?
Huh?

YouBetcha! :smt006 :smt023