Noisy Drum Brakes

NismoFrontier04

To my fellow 1st gen. fronty owners, have you experience a noise on your drum brakes? Well I do. When ever I make a right/left turn, reverse or even stop that damn noise is there and it bothers me. Do you know what is the cause of that noise? or are my drum brakes are needed to be replaced or are just dirty?

mdawg4x4

Administrator
It is not hard to pull them off to inspect. There could be dirt build up, but if you don't off road or drive down dirt roads on a regular basis, I would suspect worn brake shoes. I always have my drums turned or replaced when I replace the brake shoes.

NismoFrontier04

mdawg4x4 said:
It is not hard to pull them off to inspect. There could be dirt build up, but if you don't off road or drive down dirt roads on a regular basis, I would suspect worn brake shoes. I always have my drums turned or replaced when I replace the brake shoes.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I would suspect that it would be dirty.

Shift_Avenger

check and make sure you do not have any oil around the back side of the drums, it could be you axle making the noise. Do a search for axle leaking to see pictures of what I am talking about.

NismoFrontier04

NismoFrontier04 said:
mdawg4x4 said:
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I would suspect that it would be dirty.

[/quI
I did check out my drum brakes and it was dirty but i found that wasn't the one that is making the noise. I found out that the muffler holder was the one making that noise. So I have to replace it right away.