My Local Sales Tax

Sandiegan05fronty

I can't believe my Local sales tax is at 9.75. :smt013
9.75% Sales Tax Rate in the
City of El Cajon Starting April 1

On November 4, 2008, El Cajon voters approved Proposition J, a ½-cent sales tax measure for a twenty-year period to provide funding to preserve general City services. The General Fund is used to pay for police and fire protection, building inspections, streets, parks, recreation activities and other essential City services.

On February 19, 2009, the State of California increased the base sales tax rate by 1.00%. Both of these increases are effective April 1, 2009 making El Cajon's sales and use tax 9.75%.

A copy of the resolution that placed the measure on the November ballot in 2008 is below for your review, along with the official ordinance.

mdawg4x4

Administrator
That is ridiculous. Almost 10%. 15-20% out of a paycheck, 5% for a vehicle and that is every time it sales not just the 1st time, 2% for property, road and privileged taxes, school taxes, communication taxes, hotel taxes, flight taxes,,,cheez whiz, we need to protest!!! Oh yah, I am, tomorrow!

reverendbiker

Sandiegan05fronty said:
It really is crazy! I think my town is actually going up to 10%
Absolutely absurd. Our local sales tax burden is 8.25%, but we have no state income tax. When you add California income tax on top of your 10% sales tax on top of your state "fees" you might want to consider moving to the great Republic of Texas. :smt003

Phelan

9.25% sales tax across the board
11.25% sales tax at hotels, motels and restaurants
Can't find hard numbers on it, but iirc sales tax on alcohol and alcoholic drinks is 13%.

OkieScot

reverendbiker said:
Sandiegan05fronty said:
It really is crazy! I think my town is actually going up to 10%
Absolutely absurd. Our local sales tax burden is 8.25%, but we have no state income tax. When you add California income tax on top of your 10% sales tax on top of your state "fees" you might want to consider moving to the great Republic of Texas. :smt003
The down side of that is your high property tax. The government has got to have your money one way or the other in order to do whatever it is they do.

OkieScot

Sandiegan05fronty

Rev, I have no problem moving to TX. I have told Kev I am game to move where ever. :smt002
They asked all the mangers where they would be willing to relocate to, and he put in TX, NV, AZ.
We would only do it if he got his own building.

mdawg4x4

Administrator
If Texas follows through with cessation from the Union, I'll move there! Along with many others, I'm sure.

balage

balage said:
what's this? what's this? :smt026
Please explain with short, simple term!
Hey i didn't kiddin! :smt025
W H A T I S T H E Local Sales Tax?????????????????????

please! :smt022

mdawg4x4

Administrator
When you buy a shirt for $20, if local sales tax is 10%, the total is $22.00. Local sales tax is added to everything you purchase. Some states do not tax food, while others do. Restaurant taxes are sometimes more than the local sales tax.

balage

mdawg4x4 said:
When you buy a shirt for $20, if local sales tax is 10%, the total is $20.20. Local sales tax is added to everything you purchase. Some states do not tax food, while others do. Restaurant taxes are sometimes more than the local sales tax.
In this time "the local "is county, or state, or a big city? what is the frontier of this tax?
my tip is state

BlackTigerSE

Yes balage, truck gets taxed too. Say goodbye to thousands of dollars! $$$ all gone to state. I think they charged me around 1,200 to 1,500.00 for my truck.

Shift_Avenger

Joined kinda late but here on my neck of the woods ( Florida ) State sale tax of 6% but no State income tax. And add a penny for my local county tax, voter approved. So total of 7%

OkieScot

mdawg4x4 said:
When you buy a shirt for $20, if local sales tax is 10%, the total is $20.20. Local sales tax is added to everything you purchase. Some states do not tax food, while others do. Restaurant taxes are sometimes more than the local sales tax.
That would be $22.00. I made a mistake on our state tax, it is 8.75% not 8.5%.

OkieScot

Sandiegan05fronty

OkieScot said:
mdawg4x4 said:
That would be $22.00. I made a mistake on our state tax, it is 8.75% not 8.5%.

OkieScot
You have to remember where mdawg lives. lol

balage

BlackTigerSE said:
Yes balage, truck gets taxed too. Say goodbye to thousands of dollars! $$$ all gone to state. I think they charged me around 1,200 to 1,500.00 for my truck.
Sorry, frontier=limit in my mind!
But i know it, truck gets taxed too.
mdawg4x4 said:
Mostly State tax, but cities can add a little to that!

Hope this helps? :smt017
Ah yes!!! :smt023 Thanks!