Launch techniques

mastiff

shift avenger, about your launch question. there is only one way to get the best launch out of your truck, and that is, abusive. ideally take it up to redline take a few seconds and concentrate. and then let the clutch out half way while flooring the throttle, you truck will instantly shoot off the line like a rocket with minimal wheelspin(no wheelspin when you mastered the thechnique)....

now, once your truck is moving, you can completely take your foot of the clutch as it will stay sucked it till you shift to second......

i got my 14.991 with a 4000 rpm launch and clean redline shifts.......if you master your redline launch without wheelspin, and take it up to 6500 rpm each gear, with clean quick shifts, i guarantee you a 15.100 or better.......

shinermiller

from a stop light... let off brake... hit gas just enough so it doesnt spin.

@ the track... wait for last yellow... Punch it

Shift_Avenger

shinermiller said:
from a stop light... let off brake... hit gas just enough so it doesnt spin.

@ the track... wait for last yellow... Punch it
Can you hold the brake on the autos to make the launch more powerful?

mastiff

i think , if the holds the brake in 4x4 mode, it will push the truck forward anyway, and kill his brakes.....if he does it in rwd mode, hell probably burn his rears. but youre 6spd right avenger??

Shift_Avenger

mastiff said:
i think , if the holds the brake in 4x4 mode, it will push the truck forward anyway, and kill his brakes.....if he does it in rwd mode, hell probably burn his rears. but youre 6spd right avenger??

Yes I am, 6 sp all the way!!!

mastiff

good, now go out and practice your launch. ull easily brake the record for crew cab......and dont worry about the clutch. ive abused it plenty. and now at 35 000 miles, a certified nissan master tech just told me it runs and feels like new after he test drove it....no wonder, its made to handle upp to 6500lbs towing

Shift_Avenger

mastiff said:
good, now go out and practice your launch. ull easily brake the record for crew cab......and dont worry about the clutch. ive abused it plenty. and now at 35 000 miles, a certified nissan master tech just told me it runs and feels like new after he test drove it....no wonder, its made to handle upp to 6500lbs towing

Cool, will do thanks for the tips

qborotali

you guys are launchin near red line? i cant even launch it at 3000 without spinning the rear tires out of control, im getting pirellies soon maye that will help because this stock bf good's are pretty bald, so redline it let off the clutch half way hold it and slowly let it off the clutch while flooring it got it

Rossi

I was wondering how you launch a manual at red line without spin on street tires. That's typically a good smoke show waiting to happen....

The Frontier has plenty of power to spin the wheels....a launch that high in rpms seems would be certain to spin the tires.

Shift_Avenger

qborotali said:
you guys are launchin near red line? i cant even launch it at 3000 without spinning the rear tires out of control, im getting pirellies soon maye that will help because this stock bf good's are pretty bald, so redline it let off the clutch half way hold it and slowly let it off the clutch while flooring it got it

I tried it and it works, took me a couple ( ok a few) tries but wow. I can see where I am loosing time to the 60'. The clutch is really sensitive, you have to find the exact point where your truck will not spin the rubber that you have.

qborotali

i cannot launch hard without wheel spin and when i shift into 2nd i start spinning again what am i doing wrong when im shifting into 2nd?

Shift_Avenger

You have to work on the clutch, it sounds like you are popping the clutch too hard. You have to rev up and release until it engages but do not let it go completely until you have gained speed.

Try doing a rolling launch from second gear. It sounds to me like you are not getting any grip, if the tires are still spinning from first the will continue to spin in second.

You have to practice this. A great way to practice is in an incline keep your truck from rolling back by using the clutch and the gas. Just keep your hand on the e-brake just in case. The to make it tougher put down water under your tires and try to do the same hill practice without spinning the tires. You will learn the sweet spot on the clutch and then you can work at increasing the rpms as you get better at it.

WhistlerWzrd

Mastiff has got it right, be sure you have taken all of the slack out of the drivetrain before the high RPM launch.
Redline is hard on the tensioner bearing.

shinermiller

with traction bars and shifty tires... Stab the gas from a stop and pedal it so it doesnt spin. Its no skill IMO. Just push the gas. LOL. You can also stall it up, but my truck starts to spin the tires once I even get near stall speed (2.2k rpm). Also, when you let off the breaks after doing about a 1200-1500stall, and then get into the gas it will spin the tires terrribly