Just how thick is the IMS - intake manifold spacer

awing

I was wondering what the exact thickness of the IMS is (the only one that was available for the VQ40). It looks like 1/2" - 3/4" from the photos.

Does anyone know if phenolic (some kind of plastic) actually works better than aluminum due to thermal insulation? NWP makes them for maximas, and they look pretty thin.

BlackTigerSE

Brutal fixed it. I just want it off my truck so i could fix the 2 bolts i could screw off. One i snapped in half, the other i shaved the thread with my vice grips. So i estimate the cost of labor plus parts to take this component off would be around $80-$150. I'm worried that i might get a vacuum leak from not replacing the 2 bolts. It works fine and i got a lot of low end torque from it.

I think i posted a thread with pictures of my IMS. It looks ugly but it works.

awing

I'm interested, but after installing the spacer can you actually get the nuts back on to those two studs? There isn't a lot of clearance there, and if they do go back on then that spacer has to be pretty thin.

BlackTigerSE

Ok, i checked to see if i had a vacuum leak and i don't which is a good sign that the spacer has been working without any problems for almost a year. I would recommend buying longer bolts.

BlackTigerSE

NCFronty, how much more would it cost to get machined channeled IMS without providing customers with gaskets? Or do you not have the IMS with channels?

The IMS was only .5" thick?

If that is the case, have you thought about making a prototype IMS that is thicker than the original for those low-end torque lovers like me? Maybe 1/4" or 1/8" thicker?