Hitch and 7-Pin Harness Install

reverendbiker

I just completed installation of an aftermarket trailer hitch and Nissan 7-pin connector on my new 2012 Frontier. I did the same on my 2005 Frontier and didn't document it, so I decided to do a better job this time. Mounting the connector in the rear bumper is a daunting task for some owners so I wanted to do a very complete write-up with lots of pics. Perhaps it will make the job easier for other owners. See the links here:
Hitch Installation
7-Pin Connector Installation

mdawg4x4

Administrator
Excellent write up reverendbiker. :smt023

And I agree, several of the aftermarket hitches fit cleaner than the factory hitch does. And, the harness should come from the factory in the bumper.

reverendbiker

Gray Ghost 2.5 SL said:
This has got to be the most pictured, documented and detailed write up I've seen. Outstanding job.
Thanks, Ghost. Lots of crap on the internet, but one of the good parts is the ability to share information.

reverendbiker said:
I just completed installation of an aftermarket trailer hitch and Nissan 7-pin connector on my new 2012 Frontier. I did the same on my 2005 Frontier and didn't document it, so I decided to do a better job this time. Mounting the connector in the rear bumper is a daunting task for some owners so I wanted to do a very complete write-up with lots of pics. Perhaps it will make the job easier for other owners. See the links here:
Hitch Installation
Unless I've overlooked it, what was your "out of pocket expense" for this project. The reason I'm asking is every pickup I've owned I had my local "U-Haul" install my under the rear trailer hitch. Of course I only had a 4 pin hook up. And rated at 3. U-Haul would not install a 4 rated on my Frontier. They claimed "they didn't want to be responsible for overloading the truck". U-Haul charged me $199 in 2006 I did have to purchase the whatever that you install in the truck's side panel. I do not remember what the Dealership charged me.

reverendbiker

Gray Ghost 2.5 SL said:
reverendbiker said:
Hitch Installation
Unless I've overlooked it, what was your "out of pocket expense" for this project. The reason I'm asking is every pickup I've owned I had my local "U-Haul" install my under the rear trailer hitch. Of course I only had a 4 pin hook up. And rated at 3. U-Haul would not install a 4 rated on my Frontier. They claimed "they didn't want to be responsible for overloading the truck". U-Haul charged me $199 in 2006 I did have to purchase the whatever that you install in the truck's side panel. I do not remember what the Dealership charged me.
Cost was listed at the first of each article. To sum it up, the total price of the hitch was $153. The relay harness was $66. $219 for the entire setup.

mdawg4x4

Administrator
I put the U-Haul hitch on my truck a few years back. When I pulled the U-Haul sticker off because you could barely see it from behind and even though there was a warning: Do not remove sticker note on it, I found a Draw-Tite sticker underneath. :smt115 No wonder they didn't want me to remove their sticker.

FRONT4X

NICE!!!! The very first mod on my new Pro-4X was the receiver and I have the 7pin harness shipped and waiting for me at the dealer. (Will get it Monday) I really like where you put your plug. I kept breaking it off on my 05 SE 4x4, that would eliminate that.

mdawg4x4

Administrator
FRONT4X said:
NICE!!!! The very first mod on my new Pro-4X was the receiver and I have the 7pin harness shipped and waiting for me at the dealer. (Will get it Monday) I really like where you put your plug. I kept breaking it off on my 05 SE 4x4, that would eliminate that.
That's the only place for it. It should have been there from the factory.

reverendbiker

mdawg4x4 said:
FRONT4X said:
That's the only place for it. It should have been there from the factory.
Agree 100%, Dawg. My assumption is that the Nissan engineer who hung the harness below the receiver never drove a truck off the pavement. I've got to admit that I was pretty nervous about taking a metal hole saw to the shiny chrome bumper of my brand new truck!

tadchad

do you have to install a brake controller if you only have hydraulic brakes on the trailer, dealer told me I needed it but I think he thought I had electronic brakes on my trailer.

reverendbiker

tadchad said:
do you have to install a brake controller if you only have hydraulic brakes on the trailer, dealer told me I needed it but I think he thought I had electronic brakes on my trailer.
Are you sure?  I don't think I've ever heard of hydraulic brakes on a trailer...
If you have brakes on your trailer I'm pretty sure you'll need a controller.

tadchad

[attachment=3209]
reverendbiker said:
tadchad said:
Are you sure?  I don't think I've ever heard of hydraulic brakes on a trailer...
Yeah, I'm sure it has a surge actuator on the trailer hitch that looks like this (see attached pic), the only electronic part of the trailer is the solenoid that tells the trailer it is backing up, so the brakes dont lock up.

mdawg4x4

Administrator
If the trailer is big enough to require brakes, I would want to be able to apply light pressure using a controller when needed while going down the road and not applying your brakes.  Maybe in a windy situation that gets the trailer swaying a little.
Just me.  I have never pulled a trailer that had brakes.

reverendbiker

tadchad said:
reverendbiker said:
tadchad said:
Yeah, I'm sure it has a surge actuator on the trailer hitch that looks like this (see attached pic), the only electronic part of the trailer is the solenoid that tells the trailer it is backing up, so the brakes dont lock up.
Gotcha.  The way I understand it, the surge actuator actually replaced the brake controller.  Looks to me like all you would need is a light harness.  Perhaps Titan makes the hookup you need?  I would look on etrailer.com for my answer.