ENGINE SHUTS OFF AT 120MPH

mastiff

to make a long story short, i got my butt handed to me by a 350z

so i was cruising to work, listening to the world famous phil hendry show, and out of nowhere came that infamous 350z/g35/fx35 howl....sure enough there it was, a red 350z struggling up the onramp. :smt003 .....so i turned my a/c and radio off,pulled up next to him and popped third.....put a 5 car gap between us, and then he flashed his lights at me. so i slowed down, he pulled up next to me, and again i floored it... i put his nose in my butt from 60-80 then we stayed the same 80-100......so naturally i had an outburst of pride and satisfaction.... till, crap, at 100 mph his nose suddently popped up in the rearview mirror????? needless to say, pride turned into shame... obviously that jerk played me , he must have floored it in a higher gear right from the start thinking i was no competition, and decided to downshift at the end seeing how he could barely keep up ......gotta tell you, there is no worse feeling than seeing your competition has another ace up their sleeve while youre already all out....... as soon as his nose went up all i could do is count 1 one hundred, 2 one hundred, 3 onehundred, and he was already next to me....4 onehundred, 5 onehundred, and my front bumper was in his rear, 6 one hundred, 7 one...shut off just shy of 120mph......scared me a bit because on my other cars id usually bounce off the limiter. not complete shut off......but i must admit, i did not expect my frontier to give a z such a good run, and im sure neighter did he.....he only beat me as bad as i beat scion tcs

EB_05_NISMO

Yeah I've never heard anyone say their frontier shut off. And those who have gone that fast have said they hit a speed limiter at 115mph.

lv2dirtbike

lol funny you say that.. if im in the three digits my lawyer cant get them down to parking tickets. so yea i stay 99 and below lol

carphreak

so it shut off like the it ran out of fuel or spark? wow thats interesting. my truck (auto) just doesnt go past 112.....

reverendbiker

carphreak said:
so it shut off like the it ran out of fuel or spark? wow thats interesting. my truck (auto) just doesnt go past 112.....
That's because the ECU shuts things down at 110-112 MPH. I've done over 20 dyno pulls on my Frontier and one thing is consistent on virtually every graph; it hits a stone wall at 112.

mastiff

im curious, what is the maximum speed our longtrails or rugged trails are rated at??? i would guess 90-100....gotta be more careful next time. i remember last year when i took my audi up to 160 thinking it had the factory ZR rated tires. later turned out the preowner switched them out for cheaper rubber rated at 130.......but still, i think any tire will last higher than its rating for a short period of time......

carphreak

reverendbiker said:
carphreak said:
That's because the ECU shuts things down at 110-112 MPH. I've done over 20 dyno pulls on my Frontier and one thing is consistent on virtually every graph; it hits a stone wall at 112.
i see. i ask how the shutoff happened with mastiff because i have taken my vehicle maybe once or twice or a few times to "that" speed and all i noticed is that the needle just doesn't go further. i did not notice no shutoff of the engine or anything similar to that. and since you indicate that the ECU is responsible for keeping the speed in check, would that mean that some ECU remapping/tuning can eliminate the speed governor?

carphreak

mastiff said:
im curious, what is the maximum speed our longtrails or rugged trails are rated at??? i would guess 90-100....gotta be more careful next time. i remember last year when i took my audi up to 160 thinking it had the factory ZR rated tires. later turned out the preowner switched them out for cheaper rubber rated at 130.......but still, i think any tire will last higher than its rating for a short period of time......
the stock 265/70TR16 long trail has a speed rating of T, meaning it is safely rated up to 118mph. for those who are curious, the 265/65R17 general grabbers stock on the LE has a rating of S, meaning it can go up to 112mph safely.

BlackTigerSE

mastiff said:
by shut off i mean the fuel was instantly cut off at 118. once i slowed down it came on again
That makes sense....lol...engine shut off...scary...i redlined my rsx type s at like 8,500...car went neutral on me

carphreak

oh i did not know that. i am probably too ignorant to feel the cut off...or maybe i have not gone fast enough.... thanks for the info

Maine 6-spd CC

carphreak said:
mastiff said:
the stock 265/70TR16 long trail has a speed rating of T, meaning it is safely rated up to 118mph. for those who are curious, the 265/65R17 general grabbers stock on the LE has a rating of S, meaning it can go up to 112mph safely.
explains why the cut out is where it is doesnt it. if they put better tires on they could have moved the governor up a bit...these days I doubt you'll ever see a car that can go faster than the rating of the tires on the car, too many sue happy lawyers out there if anything were to happen.

Thejudge

mine just wont go past a lil over 115.it never shuts down.my blazer wouldnt do over 98 :( lol it just completely shut off and nose dived