engine noise

bammer00

Hi, I am getting a noise from my engine that sounds just like the power steering pump is going out. However, the noise does not change when you turn the wheel back and forth as a power steering pump would. It's not there when I[/font][/align] first start the truck but shows up after just a few minutes of driving. Any thoughts?

mdawg4x4

Administrator
What year is your truck? How many miles on it? Are you the original owner? Did this just start, or has it been getting worse gradually?
The 2nd gen truck (2005 to present) have had excessive timing chain tensioner wear. I think the issue was finally resolved by 2008 or 2009 model year. To me it was a week super charger sound. I had to have the timing chain and tensioners changed at ~71,000 miles.
The idle pulley can make a similar sound when the bearings it it go bad, but is a little higher pitched and less volume. It can usually hear it when you start the engine.

Hopefully some of the other's can comment on personal experiences.

bammer00

mdawg4x4 said:
What year is your truck? How many miles on it? Are you the original owner? Did this just start, or has it been getting worse gradually?
The 2nd gen truck (2005 to present) have had excessive timing chain tensioner wear. I think the issue was finally resolved by 2008 or 2009 model year. To me it was a week super charger sound. I had to have the timing chain and tensioners changed at ~71,000 miles.
The idle pulley can make a similar sound when the bearings it it go bad, but is a little higher pitched and less volume. It can usually hear it when you start the engine.

Hopefully some of the other's can comment on personal experiences.

It's an 08 with just over 75,000. How big of an ordeal is it to replace the tensioner if that is what it turns out to be?

mdawg4x4

Administrator
I paid the dealer $1800 to replae the chain and tensioners and, while they were in there, the water pump, belt idler pulley, and spark plugs. And had them find the oil leak I had since new that they never could fix which turned out to be from the seal between the timing chain back plate and the block, which should have been cover under warranty since they made 4 attempts to stop it since 12K miles on the ODO.