Brake setups

Shift_Avenger

I have been trying to educate myself on trailers and have a couple of questions about brakes.

The recommendation is to have brakes on anything over 1500 pounds.

I am planning on towing a 4000+ trailer.

Does anyone have a breaking set up in their Frontier?

If so was it easy to install?

eglaisi

I'm assuming your talking about trailer brake controllers?

If so, I have one. A Tekonsha (forget model) controller. Install was easy, I took it from my dad's Titan and plugged it into mine, then he bought a new one :D

But if your not lucky like me, you buy a universal controller (he got both ours off eBay) and a wiring 'pigtail' specific for Nissan. Basically you splice the controller wiring into a Nissan plug that plugs into the truck underneath the dash (driver's side, under steering wheel... near OBDII).

I found out that Titans and Frontiers use the same pigtail, so if you find a Titan one, it will work.

As for needing one.... YES! Especially a 4000+lb trailer. It's not even a luxury, it's essential.

gfronty

tenkonsha prodigy is one of the better controllers on the market and works well with both the titan and frontier!!

WhistlerWzrd

Those are some nice Campers, Don't forget that when your Dear Wife loads up the Groceries and luggage into that puppy you will likely be over 5 Large in weight, not 4, personally, I like the quad rear wheel setup, won't destroy the trailer totally if one tire goes out. Happy Camping!
WW

Shift_Avenger

WhistlerWzrd said:
Those are some nice Campers, Don't forget that when your Dear Wife loads up the Groceries and luggage into that puppy you will likely be over 5 Large in weight, not 4, personally, I like the quad rear wheel setup, won't destroy the trailer totally if one tire goes out. Happy Camping!
WW
Good call I'll keep that in mind when I look at them