Brake Controllers. Hard to install?

nrg2brn

I have a RELIANT brake controller. its pretty new, has the harness and all. I need to install it in my 2014 frontier - with the tow package. the uhaul dealer is trying to charge me 140 for the install. this seems ridiculous. has anyone installed one? Im of moderate skill electrically. I could find and splice some wires, though. Any thoughts? does this seem high, or is it so complex I should let a pro do it????

Thanks!!

reverendbiker

Just depends on what you mean when you say you have the tow package. Having a hitch installed is not enough; you must have the proper relays installed. If you have a round, 7-pin plug installed in the rear you likely have the proper relays and are ready to install your brake controller. If your Reliant controller has the proper adapter, the harness will plug right into a controller harness located under your dash by the OBD port. If the controller harness is generic you have some simple wiring to do. At any rate, the job is not difficult. Is $140 too high? Just depends on your current setup.

nrg2brn said:
I have a RELIANT brake controller. its pretty new, has the harness and all. I need to install it in my 2014 frontier - with the tow package. the uhaul dealer is trying to charge me 140 for the install. this seems ridiculous. has anyone installed one? Im of moderate skill electrically. I could find and splice some wires, though. Any thoughts? does this seem high, or is it so complex I should let a pro do it????

Thanks!!

mdawg4x4

Administrator
If your controller didn't come with the matching plug, Nissan has a brake controller harness that you use to adapt your controller so it plugs into the existing controller wiring like reverendbiker is referring to.