Best Brakes for Better Stopping

mdawg4x4

Administrator
Got my truck back Monday afternoon. New hubs did not fix the vibration, however the brakes are starting to firm up and feel good, like they never have before.

Ideas on the vibration. Could be the tires, but never felt one vibrate at this high of a frequency. I briefly checked the front drive shaft for bad u-joints, but they felt tight.

I feel better for the long run having Timkin bearings in the front anyway. Kept the old ones for emergency backup should the need arise.

BlackTigerSE

mdawg4x4 said:
Got my truck back Monday afternoon. New hubs did not fix the vibration, however the brakes are starting to firm up and feel good, like they never have before.

Ideas on the vibration. Could be the tires, but never felt one vibrate at this high of a frequency. I briefly checked the front drive shaft for bad u-joints, but they felt tight.

I feel better for the long run having Timkin bearings in the front anyway. Kept the old ones for emergency backup should the need arise.
Check to see if they need balancing. I'm pretty sure my tires need balancing since I get vibrations all the time. On turns my tires get real loud.

krh2

Ss brake lines, check. Hawk LTS pads, check. Frozen slotted rotors here Friday! $600 for the set. Saturday install. Full how to to follow..

Kev

Shift_Avenger

Took the truck in to get repaired and asked my buddy to look at the brakes. They are good still after 85k. I guess this is what happens when you live in the flat lands and have a manual tranny.

mdawg4x4

Administrator
I looked at drilled and slotted but chose regular rotors for those occasions I get in the mud. I didn't want mud getting packed into the holes and slots to eat the pads and rotors away.

Shift_Avenger

getting some movement under braking and the pedal is soft. I am getting ready to change tires also ( ouch), so how are the brakes holding up? Where did you get the Hawk pads from?

mdawg4x4

Administrator
Shift_Avenger said:
getting some movement under braking and the pedal is soft. I am getting ready to change tires also ( ouch), so how are the brakes holding up? Where did you get the Hawk pads from?
If I remember right, I ordered them from Stillen. But I could be wrong. They still work OK. I need to bleed them again, but haven't taken the time. I added extended SS brake lines at the same time.
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=HWKLTS01&c=BR&b=Hawk Performance&year=2006&make=NISSAN&model=FRONTIER

Phelan

I've been running EBC yellow (front) and green (rear) pads with their sport slotted & dimpled rotors since July and have been very pleased with them, especially since students have been back on campus. Swear they think that crosswalks have a magical force field that will protect them when they randomly step out in front of vehicles.

mdawg4x4

Administrator
I almost bought drilled and slotted rotors but decided mud in the holes and slots would expedite wear of the pads and rotors. But, I have a friend that runs them through the mud, or was at one time.

Shift_Avenger

I got the new rotors and pads on order, starting to get some pulsing from the right front and squealing on the left after 95k on the original brakes. I guess it is time to change.