A picture of Mdawg

Reserector

He is in this picture, taken at the NASA John C. Stennis Space Center in south Mississippi this Saturday. This was a mississippi-mud event.

mdawg4x4

Administrator
Alright, I claim to be the good looking one with the orange tag on my shirt. :smt044

Actually, the 1st white T-shirt from the left, my wife to my right in yellow, then my daughter, and one of her friends on the far left in pink. And the star of the photo...one of the space shuttle engines.

mdawg4x4

Administrator
We had a blast! No pun intended! OK, pun was intended!
They said the tests for the old Saturn 5 rockets have been heard as far away as Baton Rouge, LA and Mobile, AL. They have been registered as a small earthquake. I have been past this place so many times, but have never gone on the tour. My daughter took some pics and video. I'll see what she got and post them if they are worthy.

mdawg4x4

Administrator
2 of the smaller test stands

The 3rd and largest test stand.

Ever wonder how the enemy feels?

BLWedge09

Administrator
Staff member
mdawg4x4 said:
We had a blast! No pun intended! OK, pun was intended!
They said the tests for the old Saturn 5 rockets have been heard as far away as Baton Rouge, LA and Mobile, AL. They have been registered as a small earthquake. I have been past this place so many times, but have never gone on the tour. My daughter took some pics and video. I'll see what she got and post them if they are worthy.
It's funny that you would mention this now. My mom was there a couple weeks (maybe a month now) back as part of a special research project with teachers from all over the country. It is done through Mississippi State University. She got to see...and hear..them test a space shuttle engine. They say it rains for a few minutes after every test because the heat released/moisture in the air or something like that. Their tour was very in-depth. It lasted a week!

Reserector

The blast deflectors are surface cooled through 80,000 1/4" holes that pass 30,000 gallons of water per minute. That keeps the 6,500º exhaust from melting the blast deflectors. The water keeps them at 212º, which tells me that the water is vaporized.
Therefore, it rains afterward.

I would LOVE to witness a test. :smt001

mdawg4x4

Administrator
I work with a guy that co-oped at Stennis while in college. He said they publish a schedule of tests and the public is welcome to watch from the bleachers facing the smaller test stands. He said it is pretty awesome to watch. And said the night tests are the best, but he never had a chance to see a night test.

Sandiegan05fronty

mdawg4x4 said:
I work with a guy that co-oped at Stennis while in college. He said they publish a schedule of tests and the public is welcome to watch from the bleachers facing the smaller test stands. He said it is pretty awesome to watch. And said the night tests are the best, but he never had a chance to see a night test.
We should have made this a "Guess which one is mdawg4x4" thread.... :smt003 Would have been funny! I didn't know which one was you. There was over 11 males in the pic. :smt001

Reserector

That's kind of what I was expecting. You might have picked me out, but that would not have gotten you very far. :smt001