1aauto tow mirrors install

FRONT4X

I went through the gauntlet of "clip on" and "fender mount" tow mirrors after I got my travel trailer and the clip ons fell off and the fender mount flipped straight down showing the ground. Nothing is more dangerous or nerve wracking than no rear sight while changing lanes and fighting traffic.
So I saw in 1aauto a set of Titan style mirrors designed for the Frontiers.
http://www.1aauto.com/search?words=Tow+mirrors&MAKE=51&MODEL=333

It starts by removing the stock components. In my case it was factory power mirrors so off came the cover to the bolts.

[attachment=3170]
[hr]
Then off came the door panels to access the electric plug to the power mirrors.
[attachment=3171]
[hr]
The plug lies deep within this insulation.
[attachment=3172]
[hr]
AWH, at last the plug! It was just in front of the door handle.

[attachment=3173]
[hr]
With that unplugged, the mirror can come off.

[attachment=3174]
[hr]
The mirror

[attachment=3175]
[hr]
From there, carefully feed the wire harness through and bolt up the new 1aauto mirror.

[attachment=3176]
[hr]
Make sure the electrical plug connection is good and reassemble.

[attachment=3177]
[hr]
Make sure all electrical connections are good, all bolts tightened and test them.

[attachment=3178]
[hr]
They give more reach for the wider trailer . . .[attachment=3179]
[hr]
If you're going to tow, I recommend these style mirrors, it makes towing much more pleasant than without them.
[attachment=3180]

Little reminders, good idea to disconnect battery before you start. Check with manufacturers directions for torque specs and recommendations prior to starting.

Attachments

FRONT4X

Whitepro4 said:
Wow I really like those,how we'll are they made?
They are equivalent to the stock ones that are on my son's Titan in quality. I don't know how I did without them. IMO if you're towing with a Fronty, these are a must.

[attachment=3181]

Attachments

rickof956

Would you be able to install an LED turn sign behind the mirror? Or is its a hard tint?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

FRONT4X

rickof956 said:
Would you be able to install an LED turn sign behind the mirror? Or is its a hard tint?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Sorry, but I don't know about those. I have no experiance with the LEDs or what they may need or require to install them. I wouldn't know if the mirrors are compatible or not.

DRKM

WOW. Those do look awesome on the fronty. Are they as stable as the OEM mirrors? That's the biggest issue I have with my Grand Aero clip-ons. They have some vibration but really increase visibility.

Thanks for the write-up!

DRKM

FRONT4X said:
These are as good as the OEM, very little vibration and stable mirrors.
Got them on Thursday. Wow what a difference! Will be taking the trailer out in 2 weeks and the clip-ons won't be making the trip.

Thanks for the write-up and answering the followup questions. These are the mirrors Nissan should have included in the towing package for the Frontier.

Thanks again!

FRONT4X

DRKM said:
FRONT4X said:
These are as good as the OEM, very little vibration and stable mirrors.
Got them on Thursday. Wow what a difference! Will be taking the trailer out in 2 weeks and the clip-ons won't be making the trip.

Thanks for the write-up and answering the followup questions. These are the mirrors Nissan should have included in the towing package for the Frontier.

Thanks again!
The same mirrors are available as an option for the Titan. I don't know what Nissan was thinking. You'll also notice a huge amount of the vibration jiggles are gone!!
[attachment=3196]

DRKM

Did you keep your OEM mirrors or sell them? I'm thinking of trying to sell my OEM's and my clip in's.

FRONT4X

I kept mine mirrors in a box. I also saved my stock floor mats.

I have big plans on selling my fender mirrors and clip ons as well as a chrome bumper, 4 steel wheels and a dog box but I haven't taken the time to take them into town to the swap meet on the third Sunday of each mo.