Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Route 66 trip
Mrs. Okie took off one day last week and we went to Arcadia, OK on Route 66 to see Pop's. They have almost 500 different varieties of soda Pop. There is a large metal sculpture of a pop bottle with a straw sticking out of it. We have to go back at night to get pictures as they light it at night. It is constantly changing colors.

I love cream soda so I was going to order one. They have 18 different brands, I about went crazy trying to decide which one to get.

We went about 1/2 mile down the road to the round barn that has been restored. A good time was had by all. I got a shot of an AWACS plane that flew over while we were walking aroung Arcadia looking at old buildings.

OkieScot

PS: The AWACS planes fly out of Tinker AFB. I had a friend who flew on them and while he was stationed here he took me to the base and gave me a tour of one. It was impressive, but I failed to take a camera with me. I am not sure he would have let me take any interior picturres, but I probably could have gotten a shot of it on the ground.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here are some shots from the round barn.

OkieScot

Ditto.

Thanks for the pics. I would like to take Old Rt 66 some day. Preferably when they have the big flea market/garage sale. I drove a small part of it in OK a while back and another short section in AZ on my CA trip.

Don't remember exactly where in OK this was, but took the opportunity to get the old bridge on the left with the newer one on the right.

06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
Wow!!! Awesome pics 185

One of the things in my Bucket list is to drive the entire Route 66
[Image: 3gears.gif]06 CC 4X2 6sp Avalanche White NISMO SPORT[Image: drive.gif]
[Image: 43d20b1b.jpg]
Click on the picture for my Frontier thread
Thanks Okie! Great pics 207
[Image: 5260151.jpeg]
that is some pretty cool pics Okie! 185
05 Nissan Frontier 4x4, Stillen SuperCharger, BFG AT's Tongue
There used to be several places in Oklahoma where they had the old bridges beside replacements along Route 66 here in Oklahoma, but not so much any more. We still have the old Route 66 bridge on the west edge of Bethany. It is in pretty bad shape. There has been discussions whether to recondition it or tear it down.

The next time I am over that way I'll take a picture of it.

OkieScot
I hope for recondition!
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
mdawg4x4,

That would be my vote as well, but with the economy like it is I am not sure that is going to happen.

OkieScot
Well road projects is supposed to part of the stimulus package. And the Democrats are all about old structure preservation at any cost!
The only problem is that this bridge is no longer hooked up to a thru highway. It is just a link around one of the local lakes. When I had my motorcycles I would take them out for short rides during the winter months and crossed this bridge. There are some bad holes and ridges on it so you had to watch carefully if you did not want to be dismounted unceremoniously.

OkieScot
awesome pics Okie, thanks for sharing! amy i also say that your truck is looking as majestic as ever. 185 185 185 185
"it does not matter who started the thread, at the end of the day i will be it's last poster...."
[Image: carph3.jpg]
Carpheak,

Thank you for the kind words, but if you had seen it up close it was pretty dirty because of 20 straight days of rain. The first clear day it did get washed though.

OkieScot
Here is a restaurant on old Route 66 that my brother and I ate at yesterday after doing the stroll patrol. It has lots of memorabilia on the inside, but you can't get a picture without gettinjg the people in them and the management does not like that. You'll have to settle for the outside view.

Yes, we had the chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, green beans, black eyed peas, and a salad.

OkieScot

Here is the bridge I mentioned. As you can see it is in pretty sorry shape. Bethany was supposed to do a development just to the east of the bridge, but the economy seems to have put that project on the backburner for now.

OkieScot

Love the old bridge. You can just imagine the people that crossed it through time!
That was back when Route 66 was just 2 lanes. This bridge is about 2 miles south of I-40 so Bethany no longer has the benefit of all the traffic going east and west.

OkieScot

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Trip to Colorado (Pic heavy) mdawg4x4 4 3,869 7 hours ago
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  Ultimate Road Trip mdawg4x4 1 6,512 01-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Phelan
  Recent road trip krh2 5 8,081 04-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Last Post: krh2
  My annual Steam train trip krh2 11 11,172 03-19-2011, 07:14 AM
Last Post: Gray Ghost 2.5 SL
  Bus trip OkieScot 16 13,392 12-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Last Post: La Queen
  Some Pics from a Recent Trip (56K WARNING!!! LOTS OF PICS) EB_05_NISMO 11 10,087 12-23-2009, 02:20 AM
Last Post: balage
  My Trip to Japan mdawg4x4 43 30,089 10-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  Pics from my trip to the Catskills EB_05_NISMO 5 6,703 09-03-2009, 02:13 AM
Last Post: carphreak
  Pics of the Fronty while on my trip Shift_Avenger 7 7,495 08-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Shift_Avenger
  Pictures From My Trip to Wyoming (56K Warning!) EB_05_NISMO 8 7,292 07-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Reserector