Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear camera: bumper vs license frame
I installed an "ice cube" style camera on my rear bumper when I first bought this truck. The image was great, and it worked well for hitching up with my small light weight camper trailer using the factory hitch.

Later on, I traded for a larger trailer and I quickly discovered the need for a weight distribution hitch. The hitch system greatly improved the towing experience, but here's what that did to my bumper mount camera's view:

I couldn't even see most of my trailer much less back up to its hitch!

Eventually, I installed a camera on the top of my license frame. It works much better with the weight distribution hitch. I can actually see the hitch I'm trying to back up to.

I still use the factory hitch when I tow my boat. Unfortunately, the factory hitch ball is too low to be seen with the camera on top of the license plate. I wish I had a convenient video switch. I would use the license plate camera for towing with the weight distribution system, and I would use the bumper mount camera the rest of the time.
What type of cable does it use to connect to your monitor? Surely somebody makes a switch to alow use of different cameras.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
Was it hard to install?
Installation is easy. You can run the wire under the carpet and through the center console of your truck.