Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So any advice for having fun in the sand at the beach or is that a big No No!?
So I have a 2wd 06 Crew Cab and will be going camping at South Padra Island Texas (SPI) for short. And people and reviews say "stay away its not mud!" And "Hope you have money for the tow!"Is it hard to play in the sand? Is it easier to get stuck? Do I need a better truck jack and some plywood? Better wheels and tires. Or should I just not mess in it too much and bring some plywood to park my truck tires on?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
I am not familiar with South Padre Island and what kind of sand is there. Wet sand is wet packs pretty hard and is not as much of a problem. I have only been in the loose sand a few times and momentum is your friend. When you start from a stop your tires try to spin and dig in.
Personally I wouldn't get in the sand with a 2wd at all unless you have somebody with you that has been there before. Although I have seen many people play in the sand with 2wd, but they know the limitations of their vehicle. And I wouldn't go alone with 4wd. Rule of thumb is don't go offroad with less than 2 vehicles. Get a snatch strap. One with looped ends, not hooks. And definitely don't use a chain.

There are tires that work better in sand than others, but I am not the one to make recommendations.
Good luck and post up pictures of your trip.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
These washes here in the desert, the dryer the looser. The wetter the better traction. (Well, to a point)
But I am not familiar with that place at all
2013 Crew Cab Pro-4X
unless its PACKED - stay away. Ive pushed many a stuck 2x4 and 4x4's out. all it takes is to go to far into the soft stuff, and you will dig a hole. also, you will get sand in places that tiny rocks should NOT be. sand gets everywhere.
Thank you guys for your post and experience! I'm going a lone ;,( I Dont yet have a 4x4 buddy of trucking friend yet! But its packed sand not so wet tho! Hope all gos well will post up once there!

(07-16-2014, 10:46 PM)rickof956 Wrote:  Thank you guys for your post and experience! I'm going a lone ;,( I Dont yet have a 4x4 buddy of trucking friend yet! But its packed sand not so wet tho! Hope all gos well will post up once there!

Air down about a third of your side wall so you have about 2/3 left of side wall. That will give you wider/longer tread and thus, better gription
2013 Crew Cab Pro-4X
So dont leave us hanging!

How did it go? Big Grin
Sorry to keep you waiting almost 33 weeks!! It was Great guys camping trip. That is why there are no pics sorry was to busy drinking and floating on the waves. The sand was wet and packed but the top part of the sand that dried with the sea breeze also was soft. So I got stuck a total of about 3 times. Lucky this was just it took a single person to give me a light push and my fronty was out lolololol! A friend of mine showed up with a 2014 F150 4x4 so we went off roading on that he asked me to take mine and we found out you need 4x4! All in all the trip was amazing tons of fish food, beer, and sun. Will be doing it again but now to work on a tent with better wind resistance and a tailgate BBQ pit because my Coleman stove did not work at all with all the wind.

Again that you for all the tips!
Sounds like you had a great time!! Smile

But next time pics or it did'nt happen Wink