Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Brakes for Better Stopping
I am getting ready to put new brakes on my truck at 76K miles.
What are the best rotors and pads for the $$s?
EBC? R1Concepts? Wagner? Others?
Right now, I am leaning toward the R1Concept Posi Quiet Extended Wear pads and Premium Cross-Drilled & Slotted rotors.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
Frozen/slotted rotors... Hawk LTS pads. See my install on Titan Spot
[Image: sigph.jpg]
I have not had to change mine yet but when I do ....
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=AP...l=FRONTIER

[Image: 30-6300R.jpg]
[Image: 3gears.gif]06 CC 4X2 6sp Avalanche White NISMO SPORT[Image: drive.gif]
[Image: 43d20b1b.jpg]
Click on the picture for my Frontier thread
I would love to, but I don't want to put that much into them. That is why I am thinking R1Concepts.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
(06-14-2011, 08:46 PM)mdawg4x4 Wrote:  I would love to, but I don't want to put that much into them. That is why I am thinking R1Concepts.
link? please

(06-14-2011, 09:02 PM)Shift_Avenger Wrote:  
(06-14-2011, 08:46 PM)mdawg4x4 Wrote:  I would love to, but I don't want to put that much into them. That is why I am thinking R1Concepts.
link? please

http://www.r1concepts.com/nissan-frontie...6-6cyl.htm
I like this ones

[Image: PDSdrilledslotted4.jpg]
Those are the ones on the top of my list.
Ordered new front hub assemblies with Timken Bearings in them, brake performance rotors, Hawk LTS pads, 2" extended SS brake lines, and an exterior look good part (will add a pic when installed).
Cannot wait. I just hit 80k and my brakes are still good. I will wait until I am due for pads to do mine.
Mine are to the point the pedal is soft and goes down a good way. Also have a little brake judder. I am replacing the front bearings, so I am taking advantage of the opportunity to go ahead and replace the brakes all around.
I think i got EBC green for the rears (thanks again sandie!) and bought used stock fronts (5k miles on them) for $5 (shipping charge). I had them since 28k miles and I'm at 51k right now... they still have another 51k miles to go probably. I think i had all the pads and rotors replaced under warranty at around 10k miles, so really they are ~40k miles old. I believe you can just flip the rotors... so that is what i'll do to save me money.

Get this, i just replaced my original factory wiper blades... 50,000 miles they lasted! Passenger side was still good.

Edit: Actually, i think they might be stillen rear pads, not ebc.
07 SE KC 4x4 6M M226 3.538 10"R/10"F Wheel Travel
Volant CAI
SuperChip Tuned
FlowMaster Delta 50 2.25" 2 in 1 out Y-Pipe
PRG Frontier Titan Swap 4" Lift In Front; 2.0 Radflos, SPC UCA
Shackle/Leaf/Bilstein - 3" Lift In Rear
Rock Sliders And Shrockworks Skid Plate Set

285/75/16 Goodyear Wranglers
Brake Performance rotors, Hawk LTS pads from Stillen, and Timken front hubs assemblies from Autozone have arrived. Now waiting on the G-Stop extended SS braided brake lines from AutoAnything.com that shipped Friday.
Can't believe the front hub bearings are going bad at 77K miles, but I have been suspecting it for some time now. But, after all, I did have toreplace the timing chain and tensioners at 72K.

Hopefully, sometime over the next 2 weeks, I can get it all installed and feel better about stopping.
(09-04-2011, 08:33 AM)mdawg4x4 Wrote:  Brake Performance rotors, Hawk LTS pads from Stillen, and Timken front hubs assemblies from Autozone have arrived. Now waiting on the G-Stop extended SS braided brake lines from AutoAnything.com that shipped Friday.
Can't believe the front hub bearings are going bad at 77K miles, but I have been suspecting it for some time now. But, after all, I did have toreplace the timing chain and tensioners at 72K.

Hopefully, sometime over the next 2 weeks, I can get it all installed and feel better about stopping.
You are gonna love the SS brake lines. I still need to install my kit on Darolyn's fronty. Waiting for frozen/slotted rotors. Got the ss lines, hawk lts pads..... Yuuup
What is advantage of frozen rotors?
(09-04-2011, 02:23 PM)mdawg4x4 Wrote:  What is advantage of frozen rotors?

Here:

http://www.frozenrotors.com/about/why-cr...ed-rotors/

Not cheap but well worth it. Google the reviews or trust many Titan owners
(09-04-2011, 08:33 AM)mdawg4x4 Wrote:  Brake Performance rotors, Hawk LTS pads from Stillen, and Timken front hubs assemblies from Autozone have arrived. Now waiting on the G-Stop extended SS braided brake lines from AutoAnything.com that shipped Friday.

How did you know the issue is your front hub bearings? I was having bad braking issues earlier in the year and had everything checked. Nothing needed replacing, my rear rotors/pads had under 20K, front less then 15K. Pedal was slow to respond and would fall back further after I've stopped. I'd have to pump to get some pressure when stopping from high speeds. I had the lines bleed many many times until the pedal quit pushing further back and it started functioning like normal. I still doubt air in the lines was the issue..

What's the difference between slotted and drilled rotors? I like the combination but as that link Kev placed, it states it's best for appearance value of street vehicles. My wheels are constantly packed with sand and mud, I don't care about looks but performance. What would you guys recommend?
'06 Queen Cab SE - Adios Dezert.. NorCal Bound!
[Image: Ogilby-1.png][Image: fro2-1-2.jpg]

On top of a mushy pedal and pulsating under braking, indicating the need fo new brakes, I can feel a high frequency vibration through the steering wheel starting around 55-60 and gets worse at 70. I had it confirmed by the shop that has done all my mechanic work over the past few years.
Ooh.. I remember mine vibrating a little but not too bad, I had the entire suspension checked, tires balanced/rotated, re-aligned, etc.. and that wasn't it. My shop couldn't figure it out, nor the local dealer, I went into Nissan in Mexico just to ask if they've had any issues with their new D40s on the market and the service tech told me to keep bleeding the lines. That's all I kept doing until the pedal became firm again.

Have you swapped the new parts in? How's the Fro feel now compared to your previous setup?
'06 Queen Cab SE - Adios Dezert.. NorCal Bound!
[Image: Ogilby-1.png][Image: fro2-1-2.jpg]

I have not. My extended brake lines aren't supposed to be here til this Friday. If they arrive then,

My extended brake lines aren't supposed to be here til Friday. I'll drop it off Saturday morning. Hopefully they can have it done Monday.

My vibrations are when I am not on the brakes. That is why the bearings are suspect. When on the brakes, the pedal feels mushy, but I can give them a quick pump and they are good. Except for a little pulsing which would be due to warped rotors. At 77K miles I can believe it. I didn't get 72K out of my Jeeps front rotors and pads.

i
Got my truck back Monday afternoon. New hubs did not fix the vibration, however the brakes are starting to firm up and feel good, like they never have before.

Ideas on the vibration. Could be the tires, but never felt one vibrate at this high of a frequency. I briefly checked the front drive shaft for bad u-joints, but they felt tight.

I feel better for the long run having Timkin bearings in the front anyway. Kept the old ones for emergency backup should the need arise.
(09-14-2011, 07:19 PM)mdawg4x4 Wrote:  Got my truck back Monday afternoon. New hubs did not fix the vibration, however the brakes are starting to firm up and feel good, like they never have before.

Ideas on the vibration. Could be the tires, but never felt one vibrate at this high of a frequency. I briefly checked the front drive shaft for bad u-joints, but they felt tight.

I feel better for the long run having Timkin bearings in the front anyway. Kept the old ones for emergency backup should the need arise.

Check to see if they need balancing. I'm pretty sure my tires need balancing since I get vibrations all the time. On turns my tires get real loud.
07 SE KC 4x4 6M M226 3.538 10"R/10"F Wheel Travel
Volant CAI
SuperChip Tuned
FlowMaster Delta 50 2.25" 2 in 1 out Y-Pipe
PRG Frontier Titan Swap 4" Lift In Front; 2.0 Radflos, SPC UCA
Shackle/Leaf/Bilstein - 3" Lift In Rear
Rock Sliders And Shrockworks Skid Plate Set

285/75/16 Goodyear Wranglers
(06-15-2011, 07:21 PM)Shift_Avenger Wrote:  I like this ones

[Image: PDSdrilledslotted4.jpg]

FYI, they are on sale right now!!

http://www.r1concepts.com/nissan-frontier-2006-6cyl.htm
Ss brake lines, check. Hawk LTS pads, check. Frozen slotted rotors here Friday! $600 for the set. Saturday install. Full how to to follow..

Kev
Took the truck in to get repaired and asked my buddy to look at the brakes. They are good still after 85k. I guess this is what happens when you live in the flat lands and have a manual tranny.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noisy Drum Brakes NismoFrontier04 7 6,375 02-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Last Post: NismoFrontier04