Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My yard 2008/2009
Looks like they are off to a good start. Do you cover them when the temps approach freezing? How do they fare in the hot part of the summer?
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
I do not cover them in the winter. I just leave the tops on them until late winter and then cut them back to the ground. I just did that last week. I may change up on that though as I found some mildew on the dead stalks. If it causes a disease problem this spring then I'll start whacking them in the fall. This has never been a problem in the past.

We have a lot of 90 degree days in the summer and probably about 10 100 degree days and they seem to do just fine with it. I water every week about 1" worth and in the hundred degree weather I hit it twice.

Okie

I am not sure where Madison is but most of MS is in zone 8 except the very northern portion which would be zone 7b. You are in a warmer area than I am so you definitely can find some that will overwinter. If you are in zone 8 you should be able to grow the Coral Vine I showed in my vacation pictures in Comfort, TX. You are very lucky because zone 8 will grow a lot of beautiful flowers.
Our flower bed has a good bit of indian hawthorn that is pretty in the spring, and my wife plants pansies for the winter color. And accents the entry in the fall with mums in pots. She also accents in the back with roses, this, and that. 204 The names elude me at the moment. Overall a minimal garden compared to yours, but we both still have our day jobs for another ~15yrs. We also have a couple dogwoods and couple Japanese magnolias. I want a Japanese maple tree. I love the deep red leaves.

I figured I would be able to remember the names by now, but no luck. Gota go to work. I'll ask when we get back home.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
Actually the last 4 or 5 years I was working I came home and worked in the yard from 2pm 'til dark most days and often on the weekend. That is how I wound down from the stress of the day.

Do you have any pictures of your yard? Looking at the map I think you are zone 8b, but not positive. It is 8a at a minimum. That makes you in a position to try to push the envelope on one of my most favorite plants, the Gardenia. we are far too cold here to grow them outside and I do not do indoor plants very well.

I am not familiar with the Japanes Magnolia. I do have a pink Dogwood, but they are not very happy here in this part of Oklahoma. This is my second one and I have moved it 3 times trying to find a happy home for it. It does have quite a few buds on it this winter so maybe I'll get some good flowering this year.

I have a Japanese Maple 'bloodgood' that is supposed to be very red in color. In the spring it looks very good, but once our summer starts to heat up it scorches the leaves and yes I have it in shade with a little dappling.

Okie
Here are some shots of my yard over the past couple of weeks.

OkieScot[attachment=4]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Some more pictures.

OkieScot

And again.

OkieScot

I like this one. I will try to find it here. Do you have to replant it every year?
[Image: file.php?id=2263&t=1]

Much hard work goes into keeping grass out of the beds! And doesn't look like you use mulch. We have centipede grass that wants to take over everything.
Great pics Okie. You have so many different varieties of plants/ flowers in your yard.
2005 Electric Blue Custom Flaking Paint courtesy of Nissan.
mdawg4x4,

That one is a Solomon's Seal. It is a perrenial that dies back to the ground each winter and then comes up again in the fall. It is hardy here, which is zone 7A. It also spreads slowly. I started with one plant and several times I have divided it and shared with friends. I do use a mulch twice a year. I have been using cottonseed hulls as they break down rather quickly so it enriches the soil just as quickly. When you look at the pictures that have a sort of white look on the ground that is the cottonseed hulls.

My soil was almost pure sand when I started gardening and now in the flowerbeds it is a beautiful sandy loam. The cottonseed hulls are a little pricey and not available at many of the large chain outlets, but you should be able to find them at a nursey somewhere. I am lucky enough to have a friend who is in the landscaping business so she lets me buy through her account at a wholesale garden supply.

EB_05_NISMO,

I love almost all plants and I guess I am subconsciously trying to grow one of everything I can find. I especially like to find plants that are unknown in this area. Who wants a yard that looks like everyone else's? I have been trying to grow and overwinter some zone 8 plants here in zone7A by covering them in the winter. It has worked for several plants.

Mrs. Okie was born in Texas and she loves Texas Bluebonnets. I have tried a few times to grow them, but have not had much luck. I bought two packages of Texas Bluebonnets, well one was Alamao Fire which is a red version. I spread both packages out on a berm in my back yard and I am hoping for the best. There are several that have germinated, but as late as it is in the spring I fear they will never bloom before it gets too hot.

OkieScot
My wife and a neighbor had been going to a local cotton gin the past several years, but I think they shut down last year.
Here are a few shots of my yard taken over the last 3 weeks.

OkieScot

Really beautiful pictures Okie!
great work!!! 185
[Image: 5260151.jpeg]
This past week in my yard.

OkieScot

Here are some recent shots of my yard.

OkieScot
Some more.

OkieScot

Looks good Okie. All of ours is drying out.
as always Okie, your yard is a sight for sore eyes. very very beautiful collection of flowers and plants. i think the only thing you are missing is a koi pond and some birds.....
"it does not matter who started the thread, at the end of the day i will be it's last poster...."
[Image: carph3.jpg]
I had a pond for several years but replaced it with a fountain last year. I have plenty of birds, but they usually scatter when I amtaking pictures. They ignore me if I am working in the yard, but if I wander into the yard with the camera you would think I had a gun in my hands.

OkieScot

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2012 yard pictures OkieScot 11 13,380 04-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  This week in the yard OkieScot 11 10,002 08-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Last Post: EB_05_NISMO
  My yard Spring 2010 OkieScot 11 9,467 12-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Last Post: OkieScot
  memorable moments of 2009? maxxcon 4 4,355 01-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Shift_Avenger
Star Thanksgiving 2009 mdawg4x4 6 6,167 11-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  Flowers in My Yard EB_05_NISMO 11 8,538 06-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Sandiegan05fronty
  Mrs Dawg's Yard mdawg4x4 12 9,319 06-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Last Post: OkieScot
  2009 Lexus IS350 F-Sport Shift_Avenger 0 2,214 05-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Shift_Avenger
  CALIFORNIANS!!!! EARTHQUAKE DRILL 11/13/2008 carphreak 11 8,608 03-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Sandiegan05fronty
  2008 Tax Return BlackTigerSE 14 10,138 02-26-2009, 02:19 AM
Last Post: carphreak