Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My yard 2008/2009
As promised here are some photos of my yard from last summer and into this winter. I am upset because I had just added these first ten and was commenting on the last one when my computer automatically shut down because of an update. I'll try one more again.

OkieScot

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Beautiful!
[Image: 5260151.jpeg]
Part two. I'll post some more later, but I have to go to the doctor's office shortly.

OkieScot

Awesome, you sir have a green thumb 185
[Image: 3gears.gif]06 CC 4X2 6sp Avalanche White NISMO SPORT[Image: drive.gif]
[Image: 43d20b1b.jpg]
Click on the picture for my Frontier thread
Here we go again.

OkieScot

One more time.

OkieScot

I'm back.

OkieScot

You don't get off that easy. Here are some more.

OkieScot

We are in the front yard for the last post and this one. This about winds it up until spring for garden pictures.

OkieScot

Breath Taking Pics!!!!! I have truely missed you OkieScot!
05 Nissan Frontier 4x4, Stillen SuperCharger, BFG AT's Tongue
Either those blocks are small, or those mums are huge! And Beautiful!
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
Those are the large Windsor stones and those things were huge. They were at least 4 feet in diameter.

Okiescot
They are absolutely beautiful. How did you get them that big? My wife buys mums every year, but I have never seen any that big. You must take care of them through the winter, somehow.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
Mine are several years old now. Some Mums are perennial and others not so much. I am in zone 7A so I know that they can make it that far north and survive. Check for your cold zone and then find a Mum that is hardy in that zone. You can call your county extension office and they should be able to tell you. If they have a Master Gardener program then you can probably find 'fact sheets' on just about anything you care to grow.

I do not do anything to mine in the winter and then late winter I cut them back to the ground just about the time you see new green growth emerging. In fact I just cut mine back this week. It has been above freezing here for several days now, but we are due a hard freeze tonight. That is what is a killer on perennials when they get the signal to start growing and then just as they get some new growth it freezes.

The new growth is very tender and it doesn't take much of a freeze to do them in. Good luck.

OkieScot
You have a dream yard! 185
05 Nissan Frontier 4x4, Stillen SuperCharger, BFG AT's Tongue
While looking for the fountain pictures I found a few more flower shots.

OkieScot

Sandiegan05fronty Wrote:You have a dream yard! 185

Thank you, but not so much right now. I am trying to add more so that there will be color throughout the year. It is slowly coming along, but still not near enough for me.
My wife, again she has the green thumb around here, corrected me and said she just bought new ones each year so she wouldn't have to tend to them during the winter and bring them in.

Just showed them to my wife and her reply was, "My goodness, what does he fertilize them with?" Any advice?
I think you are probably in about the same cold zone as I am, zone 7A which is the upper half of zone 7. If you are, then I know you can find some Mums that will over winter. That is the major reason mine get as large as they do. I don't remember how many years I have had these Mums, but it has been at least 3 years.

As far as fertilizer about all I do is sprinkle a little amonium sulphate on them a few times a season. That is just nitrogen and sulphur. You need to have a soil test done to make certain what you are working with. Here in my area almost everyone has plenty of potassium and phosphate. All we need is nitrogen which is to plants what gasoline is to cars.
Potasium and phosphate are more like oil and don't need to be added as often.

The only other thing I do is mulch well every Spring and Fall with cottonseed hulls. I like them because they breakdown quickly which enriches the soil. When I started gardening I was on almost pure sand. Over the years with my mulching and composting it has become a very nice sandy loam.

If you don't know how to do a soil sample let me know and I'll give you instructions.

Okie
I found two more photos while browsing today.

OkieScot

We are pure clay. Cannot dig when wet (tooooooo sticky) and cannot dig when dry (like concrete). Again, my wife is the gardener. She understands everything you mentioned. I will try to talk her into trying to grow some mums like that. I like their color in the fall.

Back to the clay. I have heard you can pack clay in powder form into a glass drink bottle, add plenty water to get it all thoroughly wet, and it will bust the bottle as it expands. It rips houses apart if the foundation work is not properly done. It also pulls under ground water lines apart. The roads around here are just as bad, buckled everywhere.

How the farmers grow their crops, I don't know. And it amazes me to see the landscaping in this area considering the clay we all have to deal with.
awesome garden/yard, okie to me it seems very peaceful, a place you can just sit and admire the plants and relax....
"it does not matter who started the thread, at the end of the day i will be it's last poster...."
[Image: carph3.jpg]
Actually clay is better than sand. while the clay does not drain well it does have nutrients in it that the sand does not. You can add compost to the clay and mix it in as I have done with my sand and eventually it will be come a nice loam. It takes a lot more work with the clay as it is harder to work with.

We have mostly red clay here in this part of Oklahoma County, I just happen to be in an area that was once the pathway of a river, hence the sand.

carphreak, It is peaceful, but I have to enjoy it while I work, as it is a full time job keeping it up. Beats working in an office or factory though.

Okie
Looks good Okie. It's obvious that you spend lots of time in your yard. Keep up the good work 185 .
AMSOIL Independent Dealer
CW SYNTHETICS
email: cwsynthetics@msn.com
web: http://www.lubedealer.com/cwsynthetics
* check us out on Facebook ... CW Synthetics - Amsoil
* follow us on Twitter ... @CWSynthetics
mdawg4x4,

Here are photos I took today of two of the Mums shown earlier. We have been enjoying warm days (50's-low 70's) but the nights have been below freezing. As you can see the Mums do not seem to mind a bit.

You can see from the new growth just how large these things are going to be. You just need to find a Mum hardy in your zone and then watch it as it spreads.

Okie

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2012 yard pictures OkieScot 11 13,362 04-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  This week in the yard OkieScot 11 9,987 08-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Last Post: EB_05_NISMO
  My yard Spring 2010 OkieScot 11 9,458 12-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Last Post: OkieScot
  memorable moments of 2009? maxxcon 4 4,351 01-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Shift_Avenger
Star Thanksgiving 2009 mdawg4x4 6 6,153 11-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  Flowers in My Yard EB_05_NISMO 11 8,522 06-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Sandiegan05fronty
  Mrs Dawg's Yard mdawg4x4 12 9,304 06-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Last Post: OkieScot
  2009 Lexus IS350 F-Sport Shift_Avenger 0 2,211 05-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Shift_Avenger
  CALIFORNIANS!!!! EARTHQUAKE DRILL 11/13/2008 carphreak 11 8,597 03-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Sandiegan05fronty
  2008 Tax Return BlackTigerSE 14 10,126 02-26-2009, 02:19 AM
Last Post: carphreak