Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mission Bay
Took the boat out on Mission Bay on Saturday. Had a GREAT time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

05 Nissan Frontier 4x4, Stillen SuperCharger, BFG AT's Tongue
So, do you have a watch for sea weed? And do the sail boats get tangled up in the stuff? All assuming Mission Bay is salt water. Looks like a patch floating in the 3rd pic.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
Beautiful picsHeart
[Image: 3gears.gif]06 CC 4X2 6sp Avalanche White NISMO SPORT[Image: drive.gif]
[Image: 43d20b1b.jpg]
Click on the picture for my Frontier thread
So what kind of boat? were you racing with those other boats?? Those last couple of pictures are some serious racers.
The last 2 pics are entrance/exit to get out to the ocean. We didn't go all the way out.
05 Nissan Frontier 4x4, Stillen SuperCharger, BFG AT's Tongue
(07-20-2009, 07:16 PM)mdawg4x4 Wrote:  So, do you have a watch for sea weed? And do the sail boats get tangled up in the stuff? All assuming Mission Bay is salt water. Looks like a patch floating in the 3rd pic.

Sail boats dont have to watch for sea weed but I do. You dont want your water inlets on the stern drive to get clogged and overheat the engine. Them sailboats were in a regatta, they have the right of way over powered vessels to I had to thread the needle so to speak and hope one did not decide to tack as I was doing so. I knew I was pretty safe as they usually dont tack when the spinnacer is out and they are going down wind.
[Image: sigph.jpg]
Yep, that would be called a jibe when the spinnaker is out. I have always wanted to sail there. Beautiful place! I wonder if the seaweed ever gets stuck on the keels? That would be really slow
(07-22-2009, 02:26 PM)RedWolf Wrote:  I wonder if the seaweed ever gets stuck on the keels? That would be really slow

That is what I was wondering about?
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
Seaweed is usually displaced by the hull before it can get to the keel. If you have a crank-up keel, you can drop sails and clear just about any seaweed, flotsom or jetsom. Tongue

I agree on the safe by spinnaker theory. You generally won't typically see a large direction change, such as a jibe, when a boat is running with the wind. However, those racing crews can drop a spinnaker faster than I can write a bad check. When the spinnaker drops, they are going to turn.

Nice pics.
A spinnaker drop does happen fast, then change direction from downwind to upwind. It usually happens around a mark though, not just in the middle of no where.
We did that a few weeks ago and passed 3 boats that were having troubles. The lead boat into the mark dropped their spinnaker in the water, the next 2 boats got tangled in the slow down, we came in, dropped ours, turned and were gone before the other boats recovered. That was a fun race!!
When they dropped their spinnaker in the water, did they yell "Aww, sheet!"? Confused
Nope, but the skipper was yelling other things I dare not repeat here.............Big Grin

Thats the great thing about the guy I race with, he doesnt yell, we just figure it out and go on. That and the boat always seems to go faster the more beer cans are rolling around in it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mission Bay Sandiegan05fronty 3 4,036 07-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Sandiegan05fronty
  A Horse in Mission Bay Sandiegan05fronty 11 7,344 06-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Sandiegan05fronty