Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
days of old in OKC
Here is a link that will show you what OKC looked like in the past. Unfortunately many of the old building have been torn down.

http://www.okhistory.org/research/hillerman/index.php

Move the cursor over the dots and then click on the ones that you want to see.

OkieScot
I wish more cities had a historic map showing the old buildings that way. Some cities are still very beautiful and would be interesting to compare current to past.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
As most on here know, I love the old stuff. The building and cars had so much more character than the new ones. I know the cars weren't as efficient nor did they handle as well, but I loved them any way.

OkieScot
Back then, cars had breaker point ignitions and bias belted tires that thumped on cold mornings. They were heavy, had lots of body roll, and tube radios that had to warm up. Most had bench seats that were not much more comfortable than a church pew. They sucked lots of gas and belched crankcase fumes through a hose and onto the center strip of the roadways. Roadways that, in large part, were unfinished. The engines were used up at about 100,000 miles.

That being said, They just don't build 'em like they used to. Smile

I lived on the outskirts of OKC in 1976 (give or take a year). I was there for about three months. Back then, we would travel the countryside and saw mostly farms. I recall asking my mom and dad what the big, erratic ditches through the farm fields were for. They were big enough to drive a Jeep in. I was horrified to find out that they were dug by tornadoes. Sad

I don't recall much of the city. I was in the 6th grade at the time.
Res, I had been married to Mrs. Okie for 10 years by that time and was working for Lee Way Motor Freight just prior to them going down the tubes thanks to Frito Lay and Commercial Lovelace. we do hyave tornados although this year they were not as bad as some years. I have lived here almost 72 years now and so far have been spared although they have been within half a block of my home.

OkieScot

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Things I miss about cars in the old days.. krh2 6 7,460 04-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Last Post: krh2
  Good ol' Days Sandiegan05fronty 3 3,814 02-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Sandiegan05fronty
  6 Days Off... Sandiegan05fronty 6 4,500 12-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Sandiegan05fronty
  GT R in 2 more days!!! Shift_Avenger 1 2,264 10-22-2007, 11:01 PM
Last Post: carphreak