Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front plate mod
NY requires a front plate and the nissan bracket sucks for showing off a bumper grill. It has annoyed me from day one and last weekend I got another front plate holder from another member. Today I finally got around to modding it.

Tools
Flat and phillips head screwdrivers
Cordless drill, and a small drill bit
Sawzall or hacksaw

1. you can see the plate and how the bracket hold it above the lower bumper and in view of the grill
[Image: DSCN0822.jpg]
2. (if not using a new one) remove the plate and the bracket from the truck. I had flat head screws holding the plate and phillips heads holding the bracket.'
[Image: DSCN0821.jpg]
3. I used the plate to mark where I wanted to cut. There is a flat piece in the middle of the bracket that used.
4. Cut along the line, Sawzall when though it like butter. Though it left some slag that I need to clean up at a later time
[Image: DSCN0823.jpg]
5. Attach the plate to the truck and mark where you need to drill holes to hold the plate in. you'll need new screws for this. (i used the set from the new plate)
6. Install new plate and step back and enjoy, took me less then 5 mins start to finish

[Image: DSCN0824.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0825.jpg]
Looks good. We are lucky and aren't required to have a tag on the front.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
Looks good, just be careful when parking or going through a car wash. Any of those will bend the hell out of the bottom part of the plate that isn't supported by anything....
My truck gets washed by had all year long (i dont trust car washes) and the plate is still really high in the bumper, If I'm parking that close to something I am way too close.
Simple and effective. Next mod for Sandi's truck. BTW I spotted one of your Tonka trucks in one of the pics. 165
[Image: sigph.jpg]
That certainly inproves the look of your grill and since I have the same style grill as you this modification does interest me. The only thing I would like to see changed is to have the top of the license plate bracket covered in the area where you cut it.

After looking at it have you been able to figure out a way to seal that portion off? Also can you get a shot of the holes you drilled to accept the modified bracket?

OkieScot
As far as possibly bending the lower portion of the plate, cut a thicker piece of steel just smaller than the plate to mount behind it.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
OkieScot Wrote:That certainly inproves the look of your grill and since I have the same style grill as you this modification does interest me. The only thing I would like to see changed is to have the top of the license plate bracket covered in the area where you cut it.

After looking at it have you been able to figure out a way to seal that portion off? Also can you get a shot of the holes you drilled to accept the modified bracket?

OkieScot

I'll get some more pics for u tommorrow. but basically their is a molded piece of plastic in the bracket that I used as my cut guide. then for the plate I just marked and drilled 2 small holes then used some bigger screws and attached the plate to it.
a better pic for you okie

Hope it helps
[Image: DSCN0837.jpg]
Thank you for the close up. I thought from the other picture that there was a honeycomb effect on the top and that it was open in places. It looks like you could sand the ridges down a little and paint it and it would be excellent.

What would you charge to do mine for me? I might paint mine Avalanche white to match my truck and that would really clean up the looks of the front of my truck.

I still am a little confused as to how you attach the frame to the bumper and then the tag to the frame. Is it the tag bolts that attach everything or do you have separate attachments for each?

In case you can't tell, I am not very sharp at this sort of thing.

Wonderful idea.

OkieScot
The bracket used the sane bolts and the tag used new ones. I wouldnt charge you much okie, though I would need your plate bracket so I have an extra one to make on for some one else and I can sand down the ridges before I send yours. PM/or email me and we'll talk more.
hey Drew it might be a good idea to sand the top part a little bit, just in case you want to paint them or anything it would look easier on the eyes. a small detail i know....
"it does not matter who started the thread, at the end of the day i will be it's last poster...."
[Image: carph3.jpg]
prolly coulda done a slower, yet slightly cleaner job with a good old hacksaw(yeah, a hand-powered one! LOL). prolly woulda been almost as quick (that plastic looks thin).

cool idea for those with lower grill inserts.
[Image: 279456595.jpg]
2006 Crew Cab LE 4x4 Red Brawn
Radflo 2.0s, Deaver AAL, Bilstein 5125s, 3M Xpel Clearbra Extended Protection Kit, TruXedo TruXport Tonneau, Rear Diff Breather Extension, Weathertech VentVisors, 20% Tint, OEM NISMO Skids, Tailgate Power Lock Mod, Pathfinder Window Switch Covers, More to come...

Post pics or it didn't happen.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2460253
2 new pics of it sanded and painted

[Image: DSCN0846.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0847.jpg]
nice and clean. good job! 164
[Image: 279456595.jpg]
2006 Crew Cab LE 4x4 Red Brawn
Radflo 2.0s, Deaver AAL, Bilstein 5125s, 3M Xpel Clearbra Extended Protection Kit, TruXedo TruXport Tonneau, Rear Diff Breather Extension, Weathertech VentVisors, 20% Tint, OEM NISMO Skids, Tailgate Power Lock Mod, Pathfinder Window Switch Covers, More to come...

Post pics or it didn't happen.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2460253
Drew,

Looking at the original holder, could you not have used some cardboard to get the profile of the bumper, then mounted the plate holder upside down with the mounting bolts, then match the profile cardboard to the side of the plate holder so that it looks like it is matching the profile and mark the side of the holder. then use a cutting wheel with a dremmel to match the profile on the side. If there is any bracing inside the holder, it may need cut too, but that way the holder would still look complete.

It may not work and my left hand is badly sprained at the moment, so I can't try it myself. If someone would try, or could send me one to work on in a couple weeks, I think it might realy add polish to front end grills.
Irongrave,

I am still a little puzzled as to how you were able to bolt the holder to the truck and then bolt the tag to the holder. Did you cut a pair of rectangles out of the holder and then use the two clips that are pictured on the upper portion of the holder?

I am still thinking about trying this.

Thank you,

OkieScot
Irongrave; Nice Looking Mod, I will consider that for myself in the future.
'05 KC NISMO 6 spd.'08 Rogue SL AWD
i used the stock holes in the holder to attach it to the bumper then used the attachment screws that came with the other holder for going into the bumper (they are almost a sheat metal screw type thread) Drilled 2 pilot holes and then put the plate up and screwed in the new screws (just take your time and you can basically tap the plastic as it is fairly thick there and it works great.
I understand now. I was thinking of cutting two rectangles out of the lower section and then using the clips and screws that are in the top section of the holder and that way I won't have to ever worry about stripping out the plastic. I am a little heavy handed at times.

I can use the holes in the top section as a pattern to make sure it all comes out correctly.

Thank you again for coming up withan excellent idea. It makes the lower section of the grill look so much cleaner.

OkieScot
your welcome, It was just annoying me and I got pulled over 1 for not having the plate on so i had to come up with something

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Painting Plastic front-end parts?? nismosteve 17 21,006 03-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ben05
  Front Bumper Sandiegan05fronty 11 11,459 09-12-2009, 06:17 AM
Last Post: joe89roy
  Custom License Plate's Sandiegan05fronty 22 21,409 04-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Last Post: eglaisi
  Front Seats Sandiegan05fronty 8 7,595 03-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Last Post: lv2dirtbike