Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB install in center armrest console
I decided to add a CB to my truck, but didn't want it to be out in the open. Here's a good spot for a smaller CB.

The CB I used is a Cobra 23Plus. The stickers on it put date of manufacture in 1989, but it still works good as new, and looks pretty good too. I found it in my garage cleaning it out a few weeks back. For the price, and the fact that I'm not using it for anything major, it was a good deal. I don't need any extra fancy features, but it's got 3 weather bands, which is always cool.

For my CB, the bracket is 6.5" across. Incredibly tight, especially when it comes time to tighten down the thumb bolts.

[Image: 270919981.jpg]

I opened up the back of the console by taking off the lid and popping off the back. Then I drilled a hole in the lower corner just big enough to snake the antenna in.

[Image: 270919986.jpg]

Fed the antenna wire through and hooked it all up. The awesome part about putting the CB here is that there's a power source for it. Everything is all contained inside the armrest console.

[Image: 270919985.jpg]

You can even close the lid with the mic out, and it won't pinch the wire.

[Image: 270919992.jpg]

Since I'm not yet big on this, and I didn't want to do anything permanent yet, I picked up a Wilson Lil' Wil mag-mount antenna. It's gotten pretty decent reviews all around the interwebs, and it's pretty inexpensive. The whip is also short, so if you don't want a gigantic antenna, this is a pretty good way to go. I just snaked the wire under the carpeting, and under the door panel, then up and out the driver rear door. I'll do something cleaner when iI decide how much I like this setup.

[Image: 270919991.jpg]

I know it's hard to see the whip, but it's not exactly huge. I was playing around with it after I got all hooked up, and was picking up some trucks on the freeway (minimum 5 miles away) and listened for a good while. Also picks up Weather band 2 really clear.

[Image: 270919989.jpg]

All done. Pics aren't so great cuz it's rainy out, but you get the idea.

Enjoy.

[Image: 270919987.jpg]
[/img]
[Image: 279456595.jpg]
2006 Crew Cab LE 4x4 Red Brawn
Radflo 2.0s, Deaver AAL, Bilstein 5125s, 3M Xpel Clearbra Extended Protection Kit, TruXedo TruXport Tonneau, Rear Diff Breather Extension, Weathertech VentVisors, 20% Tint, OEM NISMO Skids, Tailgate Power Lock Mod, Pathfinder Window Switch Covers, More to come...

Post pics or it didn't happen.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2460253
That is a good install, Had a CB on my '91, liked it a lot, useful off road but better on the highway for bear avoidance. Thanks for the pics
'05 KC NISMO 6 spd.'08 Rogue SL AWD
Nice! Very clean! Did you see my write up for Titan/Frontier CB install?

BTW, great write up. Nothing like quality documentation.
[Image: sigph.jpg]
Looks good and very clean. I wish I could find a better spot to locate my CB. I wish I had my footrest back.

Your antenna location is ideal. Not good for riding the trails though. Especially if there are low limbs. KRH2 and I, both, ran the antenna wire out the drafter duct behind the rear seats. You should be able to rout the it around the edge of the back glass to the 3rd brake light on the roof.

Link to krh2's thread.

http://www.frontyspot.com/frontier/viewtopic.php?t=53
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
thanks for the compliments!

krh2-i saw that write up initially when you put it up for sandi's truck. if i were going into the bed, it would be ideal. i just don't like the idea of seeing all that wire running up the back of the truck then onto the roof. there's less visible wire with this setup. i'm also thinking of running it up to the roof, drilling under the roof rack foot pad, then into the rack and coming out all stealth like wherever i want it. dunno yet. other ideas in the head...

mdawg-yes, i realize the thing about low branches. seeing as i'm still a daily driver, i'm not so worried about it. i'm mostly running the beaches to stay in touch and the expressway to avoid delays, so height is not as big an issue. i think if i go more into the trail rig status, i will upgrade from the 19-year old cb and get a permanent mount antenna.

thanks again!
Radflo 2.0s, Deaver AAL, Bilstein 5125s, 3M Xpel Clearbra Extended Protection Kit, TruXedo TruXport Tonneau, Rear Diff Breather Extension, Weathertech VentVisors, 20% Tint, OEM NISMO Skids, Tailgate Power Lock Mod, Pathfinder Window Switch Covers, More to come...

After everybody...very nice work! 185
[Image: 5260151.jpeg]
Harsh, you should run that cable through your 3rd brake light. Hold on, let me find a link to an XM install on one of my Titan boards.....
I could only find one. 175 2 of the pics dont show up but you will get the basic idea. I saw the finished product and it looked sweet. The tail light gasket sealed over the wire fine.

http://www.titanspot.com/Titan/index.php?showtopic=1998
krh2 Wrote:I could only find one. 175 2 of the pics dont show up but you will get the basic idea. I saw the finished product and it looked sweet. The tail light gasket sealed over the wire fine.

http://www.titanspot.com/Titan/index.php?showtopic=1998

I like the brake light idea 2. Just make sure the brake light seals over the wire ok. One of the Frontiers on another site had water leak issues with his XM antenna going through the 3rd brake light when it rained. Maybe add a little silicon.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
mdawg4x4 Wrote:. Maybe add a little silicon.

Exactly.
thanks for the link. i'll look into it. it would definately add up to a much cleaner install that way.

Got the antenna tuned yesterday. Pretty good on the low channels, a little high on the uppers.

its ~1.1:1 on 1, 1.3:1 on 20 and 2.x:1 on 40 (i dno't remember off-hand).

overall, pretty happy. still thinking about relocating the antenna wire through the 3rd brake light, but i don't have time right now to feed the wire through the headliner and down the c-pillar. that will be a project for fall.

it's amusing listening to the truckers on the way to work in the morning, especially in traffic when they have nothing to do but stick it out. LOLZ 167

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Console Vault is 5 weeks away, making vault for Fronty xichlo 8 7,623 06-10-2019, 01:48 AM
Last Post: boniel
  Xoskel 2nd Gen Frontier Bumper Mouth Bracket Install Phelan 21 27,247 12-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  Roll Pan Install guide..... MOBEEBO 23 17,269 03-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Last Post: MOBEEBO
  Differential Temp gauge install krh2 7 8,037 01-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  PIIA 1500 Back up light install krh2 2 4,043 05-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Last Post: krh2
  CB install CC Frontier and CC Titan krh2 11 11,420 05-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Last Post: krh2