Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EZ Down install how to/review
This install post is in no way a replacement for the EZDown instructions. This is meant as supplemental only.

My first impressions:
· Install was real easy
· Ezdown helps with opening the gate but not closing it.
· Concerns with the gate being shifted to one side are over blown. 1/16" inch is no big deal to me. I have a fix for this.. My Titan has the same issue because of my torsion bar assist. Here is a link to that:

http://www.titanspot.com/Titan/index.ph ... 3&hl=hoppy

OK, on with the install.

1. Remove safety cable's flange from the truck bed's cable bolt (DRIVER SIDE ONLY). Do NOT remove safety cable from the tailgate's cable bolt. (12mm)

[Image: IMG_3969.jpg]

2. Remove Cable Bolt and washer. Remove cable bolt and washer from truck bed's side panel (DRIVER SIDE ONLY). (10mm)

[Image: IMG_3970.jpg]

3. Assemble Cable Bolt and Bushing. Install provided cable bolt into the bolt bushing. Note: Thinner side of bushing goes against head of bolt. (5mm allen)

4. Install Cable Bolt and Bushing. Install new cable bolt with bushing into the truck's bed side and tighten.

[Image: IMG_3973.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3974.jpg]

5. Attach Safety Cable. Re- Install safety cable to the newly istalled cable bushing. Insert safety cable's mounting flange into the groove closest to the taillight.

6. Remove Taillight bolt. Remove existing lower taillight bolt. (10mm).

[Image: IMG_3971.jpg]

7. Install New Taillight Bolt. Instal new taillight bolt supplied in kit. (Phillips head)

[Image: IMG_3975.jpg]

8. Install Plastic Bracket Bushing. Press plastic bushing onto tailgate bracket.

[Image: IMG_3982.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3979.jpg]

9. Remove Tailgate Bolt. Remove existing tailgate bolt. (14mm)

[Image: IMG_3983.jpg]

10. Install Tailgate Bracket. Place tailgate bracket against the tailgate's side and align bracket hole with the hole for Step 9. BRACKET MUST FIT FLUSH AGAINST TAILGATE. Attach bracket using bolt supplied in the kit. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. (6mm allen)

[Image: IMG_3983.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3984.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3986.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3987.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3988.jpg]

11. Install Ezdown to Cable bolt. Attach Ezdown to the newly installed cable bushing (Step 4). Note: Ezdown mounting flange should rest in groove farthest from the truck bed.

[Image: IMG_3990.jpg]

12. Install Ezdown To Tailgate Bracket. Install small end of Ezdown Damper onto the bracket stud that was installed in Step 10. Secure retaining clip.

[Image: IMG_3991.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3993.jpg]

Some have said that this mod caused their gate to shift to one side so here are some measurements documenting such.

Driver's side:

Before: .2115 gap

[Image: IMG_3968.jpg]

After: .28 gap

[Image: IMG_3996.jpg]

Passenger side:

Before: .165

[Image: IMG_3967.jpg]

After: .12

[Image: IMG_3997.jpg]

This is not a major concern for us. My Titan gate was never centered, before of after the torsion bar install. If 1/16 difference in gap bothers you then this mod is not for you. However, if 1/16th is no big deal and you get the benefit of a lighter (safer) gate, then go for it. For us it was $63 well spent. If for no other reason than just to test a product and share with our Frontier friends.

Some videos:

Kates struggling with the gate.

[Image: sigph.jpg]
Nice write up. What do you think about the clip holding the strut in place. I wrapped mine with electrical tape to keep it from popping off.
[Image: 3gears.gif]06 CC 4X2 6sp Avalanche White NISMO SPORT[Image: drive.gif]
[Image: 43d20b1b.jpg]
Click on the picture for my Frontier thread
Shift_Avenger Wrote:Nice write up. What do you think about the clip holding the strut in place. I wrapped mine with electrical tape to keep it from popping off.

That has not been an issue yet. 179
The clip I am referring to is the one that attaches to the body. You can move it up and down and almost pops off, which will allow the strut to come loose.

Shift_Avenger Wrote:The clip I am referring to is the one that attaches to the body. You can move it up and down and almost pops off, which will allow the strut to come loose.

That is the one. Ours is ok. I will check it again after work. Unless she does it on her lunch.
Excellent writeup and photos, Sir does a lot.
[Image: 134036.png]
Here is some video Carlos. Sounds like your clip is not bent in enough to grab the flange. Hope this helps. Sorry for the poor lighting.
K

wow, mine slides almost off the strut when you push up on the tailgate. Thanks
Shift_Avenger Wrote:wow, mine slides almost off the strut when you push up on the tailgate. Thanks

No problem. Have them send you a new one.
So my EZ Down bit the dust today. I guess the C clamp fell off and the strut is bent beyond repair. I do not know how the strut could have bent the way it did. I have to inspect the bed for damage,

I am calling EZ down tomorrow to try to get a replacement strut and C clamp
Shift_Avenger Wrote:So my EZ Down bit the dust today. I guess the C clamp fell off and the strut is bent beyond repair. I do not know how the strut could have bent the way it did. I have to inspect the bed for damage,

I am calling EZ down tomorrow to try to get a replacement strut and C clamp

Did you get a chance to call them?
05 Nissan Frontier 4x4, Stillen SuperCharger, BFG AT's Tongue
Yeap, they do not sell replacement parts. I have to get a whole new kit. 174
Well since they do not sell replacement parts I started looking for a new one and found a different company that makes them and got it for $46 w/ shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0329000416

I will post up a review as soon as I get it
Same shock absorber and parts as the more expensive EZ Down. I would get it in a heartbeat!!

Cannot beat the price. I paid almost $20 more for the original one. So since I had two I put one on each side 202
Do you still have both on your truck? Can you post a pic or vid of it please? I'll have to get this soon but I was wondering if one on each side would be better or overkill. Lol
'06 Queen Cab SE - Adios Dezert.. NorCal Bound!
[Image: Ogilby-1.png][Image: fro2-1-2.jpg]

No I do not. The old shock absorber finally went and lost all the oil from within. But while it was working I could not tell the difference between one or two.
How long did it last for you? I've wondered about installing two because of the weight of our tailgate. It is considerably heavier from a full-size Ford & '09 Taco. Frontier's tailgate key was accidentally bent, my niece tried to use it on the wrong truck, so it is mostly a matter of safety concerns vs. comfort. Thanks for the write up and information krh2 & Shift Avenger! This is bumping up a few spots on my "things to do..." list. Big Grin
'06 Queen Cab SE - Adios Dezert.. NorCal Bound!
[Image: Ogilby-1.png][Image: fro2-1-2.jpg]

It busted because the shock absorber fell off the pin after loosing the C-clamp that holds it in place. My wife closed the tailgate on the rod and bent it. The second one I bought is holding strong but the C-clamp fell off again.
any other solution to the clip aside from the electrical tape? also is your ezdown shocks hitting the tail light replacement screw? mine does.
not really, mine finally busted. I figured out why finally. My tail gate hinges are bent, probably from carrying too much weight on the tailgate.
Ours still intact and working well. Though, we dont use the gate that much.
my clip lasted for a month and i have removed it ever since........ product fail and also the cable is squeezing with the shocks on that side making scratches when your closing the tailgate ugh!
I just bought an Ezdown from Redline. Broke the 3rd time I used it. Emailed them twice since they don't accept phone calls. No response. On another site someone suggested using a fender washer over the hold down bolt. I'll give that a try.
Any other feedback on EZDown. My old truck shocks are busted too. planning to fix the suspension then install a tailgate assist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hitch and 7-Pin Harness Install reverendbiker 18 21,962 09-27-2014, 06:57 AM
Last Post: reverendbiker
  Brake Controllers. Hard to install? nrg2brn 3 2,865 07-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  1aauto tow mirrors install FRONT4X 10 7,288 07-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Last Post: FRONT4X
  BORA Bulletproff Off Road 1.5 Spacer Install gemyrae75 3 4,066 01-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Last Post: FRONT4X
  Catch can install krh2 19 15,853 06-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Last Post: krh2
  radiator install rockhound 2 3,077 01-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Last Post: rdrfronty
  Back up Sensor install krh2 16 9,346 01-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Last Post: krh2
  OEM STYLE FOG LIGHT KIT Frontier SE chrome bumper - Install Shift_Avenger 20 27,130 12-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Shift_Avenger
  4 Pin wiring harness install? lynn02 2 3,267 05-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Last Post: LilRedExpress
  Temperature gauge install krh2 5 4,878 06-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Sandiegan05fronty